Private: Spectacular Poas Volcano And La Paz Waterfall Gardens TourExplore > Costa Rica > San Jose > Private: Spectacular Poas Volcano And La Paz Waterfall Gardens Tour
Satisfy your adventurous side!
Active volcanoes are one of Costa Rica's top, must-see natural attractions. And the Poás Volcano is no exception.
An easy drive from San José, the Poás Volcano is one of the largest open volcanoes in the world with the crater over a mile wide and 1,050 feet deep. On the way to the park, you'll drive by the city of Alajeula passing by the Agriculture Monument, the Monument to Juan Santamaria and the famous Mango Park.
Once in the park, you'll begin your journey up the volcano on beautiful, winding trails in the middle of the cloud forest jungle. The change in temperature gives way to new vegetation. You will pass coffee plantations as well as flower and strawberry farms.
As you continue your ascent, you'll be met with panoramic views of two crater lakes near the summit. The northern lake, known as Laguna Caliente, is one of the world's most acidic lakes. The bottom of Laguna Caliente is covered in a layer of liquid sulfur that gives way to little aquatic life. It's southern counterpart, Lake Botos, is cold and clear and surrounded by an otherworldly cloud forest.
After you've taken in the breathtaking views from the volcano, you'll continue on to La Paz Waterfall Garden for lunch. After lunch, your naturalist guide will give you a tour of the waterfall garden and a complete overview of Costa Rica's rich biodiversity. Your tour will then lead you to a stunning waterfall in the middle of the rainforest. Also in the park, you will visit the hummingbird gallery, the serpentarium, the bird house, and the butterfly garden.
You'll also have access to the Visitors Center complete with dining options, a souvenir store, and museum about the history of the Poás Volcano.
This volcano and waterfall gardens tour will satisfy even the most adventurous soul!
- We suggest bringing your camera and binoculars.
- We recommend dressing in layers as the weather can be cooler as you ascend.
- The trail to the Poas Volcano overlook is paved. There are several stairs at the La Paz Waterfall Gardens. We recommend wearing sturdy hiking shoes.
- Total drive time is approximately 3 hours (90 minutes each way from central San Jose).
- Good level of fitness required.
- Sometimes Paos Volcano is not visible due to fog.
- Tour includes pick up from your hotel in San Jose, Herdia, and Alajuela hotels.
Days offered: 7 days a week