Waimea Canyon Exploration And HikeExplore > United States > Kauai > Waimea Canyon Exploration And Hike
Lace up your hiking boots for a day of adventure, beautiful scenery, knowledge and exercise.
Of all the Hawaiian Islands, none offers more trails or better hiking than Kaua'i. You could spend an entire month on this island hiking every day and still not tred on all of the trails--and we speak only of the officially maintained trails!
The Garden Isle's dramatic natural beauty is in full view on this exhilarating hike. Your naturalist guide's knowledge of geology, botany, culture, Hawaiian myths, and even plate tectonics will bring about a new appreciation and understanding of this magnificent place.
As you trek through the upland native forests, enjoy the Ohia trees laden with lacy red lehau blossoms and observe the Koa trees, with their sickle-shaped leaf-stem phyllodes dangling from their branches.
Half-way through your journey, you'll arrive at Waimea Canyon's stunning rim. Waimea Canyon is often referred to as the "Grand Canyon of the Pacific". And while Waimea is not as large as the actual Grand Canyon, what it lacks in size it more than makes up for in beauty. Iron-rich cliffs offer a vibrant contrast to the rugged green cliffs on the opposite side. Twenty-five hundred feet below on the canyon's floor the Waimea River winds its way to the sea.
By now, you've earned a break and some sustenance. Your guide will choose a secluded spot with fantastic 360-degree views for you to enjoy a healthy picnic lunch with bottled water, snacks and fruit. While you will have to carry your own lunch during the first part of the hike, the upside is that your pack will be lighter on the return trip.
The 5-mile loop trail loses and then regains 400-500 feet of elevation as it goes down through cloud forests to the canyon rim before returning to the starting point.
- Cruise ship passengers and guests staying at hotels on the southeast to south and west parts of the island, (between Lihue and Poipu), will be picked up by their tour operator. Guests staying in Princeville and Hanalei resorts on the north side of the island will need to provide their own transportation to the meeting location in Poipu. Specific instructions will appear on your voucher.
- Please wear comfortable clothes, tennis shoes or hiking boots, a hat for protection, and sunscreen.
- Your guide will provide day packs, snacks, and lunch.
- This trip requires a minimum of 4 guests to operate.
- This tour can accommodate up to 10 guests.
- The minimum age to participate is 7 years old. All hikers must be able to hike on their own.
- This is a moderately strenuous hike. Participants should be in good physical shape and capable of hiking over uneven surfaces with slight elevation changes. Climatic conditions may vary.
Days offered: 7 days a week