Enjoy a cool subterranean music concert in the caves and buy pearls straight from the source!
Known as "the Island of Tranquillity," Mallorca is the largest of the Balearic Islands. Besides the cosmopolitan city of Palma, the island offers mountains, lush valleys, fine beaches, and little fishing villages where life is simple. Writers, painters, and musicians flock to this idyllic island for the inspiration that you will also find.
The island of Palma de Mallorca has something for everyone whether it's sightseeing, athletic activities or beaches. On this excursion, however, we explore two underground subjects, cultured pearls and caves.
First enjoy a scenic drive of approximately an hour directly across the island to Porto Cristo, a beautiful resort area with old-world charm that you will fall in love with.
Nearby are the Drach Caves, an extensive subterranean system of caves that have been made accessible to the public. One of the island’s most outstanding tourist attractions, they extend almost 4,000 feet and soar to heights of 80 feet above the cave floor. And with temperatures a constant 63 to 70 degrees Farenheit, they provide a cool, refreshing break in the heat of the summer!
Located inside the caves are a number of lakes. We'll enjoy a boat ride on the largest, Lake Martel, while listening to a concert of classical music! The exceptional lighting system enhances the natural beauty of the caves, where stalactites and stalagmites form fascinating shapes in the water, giving the impression of mountains growing from the depths.
Before heading back to the pier, we will make a stop to see another of Mallorca's famous products. Pearl production has been occurring on Mallorca for many years and it has given the island a worldwide reputation as a purveyor of beautiful and high quality jewelry. Several Mallorcan companies produce man-made pearls and have perfected the process to the level that their best imitation pearls can only be distinguished from natural ones by experts.
Local Mallorcan women have specialized in the artistic fabrication of faux pearls since the 19th century and are recognized worldwide for their quality and artistry. Wandering around the shop you will see every variety of size and setting, with more than twenty different colors available. The pearls can come strung on silk thread, knotted onto leather or set with gold, silver or platinum. There are pieces to suit every budget and other stones available as well.
This excursion will have you leaving Mallorca with a memory of the cave system and perhaps a pearl creation to remind you of the day!
- Entrance fee to the Drach Caves is not included in the price of the tour and costs approximately 15.5 EUR per person.
- Upon arrival to the caves, your guide will assist you in acquiring admission, and will meet you at the exit of the caves. Please note that outside tour guides are not permitted to enter the Drach Caves. However, there are official Drach Caves licensed guides who will escort you during your visit.
- You will spend approximately one hour at the Caves.
- Be aware it can be damp inside the caves and there are many steps. Please wear non-slip footwear.
- This tour is not able to accommodate those with limited mobility.
- This tour is not available on Christmas Day or New Year's Day.
Days offered: 7 days a week