Feel like a time traveler as you explore the historic side of Nassau via ATV.
Your first impression of Nassau will most likely be the huge pier loaded with ships that tower over you. The city is a popular cruise destination, and with beautiful beaches and colorful reefs, it is loved by sunbathers and snorkelers. However, it's hilly landscape provides the perfect terrain for some sightseeing on steroids, which is what this fun, exciting tour involves.
Finding yourself in the driver's seat of your ATV will deliver a unique perspective of the city. So get out of the fray and out of the way and explore Nassau's historical side, up close and personal with your own ATV.
On this comprehensive yet fun tour, you will be able to 'feel' what Nassau is all about, the vibrant energy and local flavor that is special to this city. Your experienced local driver will guide you on an itinerary that will cover many significant historical locations.
You'll see the Queen's Staircase, the 102-ft., 65-step staircase carved from solid limestone by slaves in 1793, surrounded by lush, tropical vegetation. In the 1800s, the steps were named to honor Queen Victoria for her role in ending slavery in the British Empire. Right nearby is the Watertower. Your guide will be sure to tell you about the source of funds used to build it!
Roving on, you'll visit the Government House, the official residence of the Governor-General of the Bahamas. Painted a distinctively lovely Bahamian shade of conch pink, it is considered one of the finest examples of Georgian Colonial architecture in the Islands.
The immense Fort Charlotte, set on more than 100 acres, is another reminder of the city's past. Built between 1787 and 1790 to protect the west side of the harbor from attack, the fort is set on a hill overlooking Arawak Cay and offers superb views of the Nassau Harbor. And speaking of Arawak Cay, it is next up on our historical exploration of Nassau. Named after the original West Indian inhabitants of the island, Arawak Cay was built from the sands dredged during construction of Nassau's harbor. This bustling street in the heart of the city is known for its live music and Bahamian restaurants and bars offering authentic dishes and beverages, each with their own unique spin.
Point your ATV toward the Caves, a place that is purported to have been used by pirates in the late 1600's and early 1700's, but is now home to much friendlier fruit bats. Walk down the stone stairs and let your imagination picture how pirates used it to store their barrels of rum and ill-gotten gains.
The final stop is for a local Bahamian lunch with a beverage that will deliver a final, delicious taste of Nassau.
- Please note there are both single and double machines. if you have a specific request, please contact ShoreTrips prior to booking.
- This is considered a moderate activity.
- Lunch will consist of a traditional Bahamian meal such as chicken or fish with peas and rice, macaroni and plantains. Please alert ShoreTrips in advance of any dietary restrictions or limitations.
- Please dress comfortably. We recommend socks and closed shoes.
- Bring some sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses and perhaps a bottle of water.
- This tour requires a minimum of 4 people to run. We will do our best to match you with other people.
- You will be required to sign a waiver before the tour begins.
- All participants must be at least 10 years old.
- You must be 21 years old and have a valid driver's license and will need to have it with you.
- The maximum per ATV is 2 people and 500 lbs. total.
- Please note: All guests, whether driving or riding the ATV, must purchase a space.
- All the equipment is automatic.
- This tour is not suited for pregnant women. Also, guests with neck, back, or hip ailments and those who have had recent surgery will not be allowed to participate in this tour.
- Due to uneven surfaces, this is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or those using a wheelchair.
- Guests under the influence or appearing under the influence of alcohol or other substances will not be allowed on the tour.
- At this time due to COVID, all persons in your party must be fully vaccinated to exit the ship.
Days offered: 7 days a week