Wildlife Adventure On The Monkey River
Stay on attention! Mother nature at its finest.
It's very unlikely that you will see a Jaguar but they are out there somewhere!
Waterways are often a hub of life for animals of all kinds. From food to shelter, rivers serve as a lifeline for the flora and fauna that help make up the greater ecosystem. The Monkey River in southern Belize brings together an eclectic group of wildlife that by boat and by trail provides some amazing opportunities for wildlife viewing.
Your day of adventure starts with a 40-minute ride along this weaving river aboard a skiff type boat called a panga. While you glide over the turquoise water your guide and captain will bring your attention to important spots along the shoreline and warn you where wildlife viewing is at its best. The river gets its name from the population of Howler Monkeys that can be heard from the trees above the river. Listen for their calls as a sign of when they may be close.
A stop will be made at a nearby trail for approximately a half mile hike to learn about the intricacies of the Belize jungle. Here you will learn about things like the herbal plants used for medicines and if you're especially lucky you will stumble upon the unique looking Tapir. It is also common to see Black Howler Monkeys here! This trip is your best bet to seeing some of the most unique animals in Belize in their natural habitat!
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes or biking boots. We also recommend you bring layers, sun screen, bottled water and bug spray.
- No food or beverages are included in the price of the tour but a stop will be made to purchase something to eat.
- Please note the cost of the water taxi and marine park fee are not included in the price of the tour. The water taxi is $20 per person round trip and the park fee is $10 per person. You can purchase these tickets the first day you board your cruise. Please purchase the earliest tender.
- This program is not recommended for guests with limited mobility.
- The minimum age to participate in this program is 3 years old.
- There are 4 different boats used for this program. They are similar to the one pictured on the tour.
Days offered: 7 days a week