Our Amazing Secret Underground RiverExplore > Mexico > Cozumel > Our Amazing Secret Underground River
Even perfect if you prefer to walk along the river rather than take a dip!
Cenotes are natural wells or reservoirs common in the Yucatán Peninsula. They are formed when a limestone surface collapses, exposing water underneath. The major source of water in modern and ancient Yucatán, cenotes are also associated with the cult of the rain gods, or Chacs. They have a mystic to them as many of the less explored tunnels can be dangerous if someone begins exploring without a guide. Confusion can set in and the maze of tunnels become impossible to exit. But now you are able to explore this underworld of mayan culture at one of the best preserved - and least crowded - cenotes in the Mayan Riviera.
From Cozumel you will enjoy the ferry along with your guide and other participants in your group. The 45 minute ride goes quickly and before you know it, you are in Playa del Carmen and ready to take the second portion of your transport which is a ride for about an hour into the interior of the land. Your guides are entertaining so it will be a fun ride that goes by quickly, bringing you to the heart of the jungle. It will not take long to gear up and begin your underworld adventure. The incredible structures around you took over 65 million years to form and without thinking, you will jump in and immerse yourself in the fresh water.
Your guide will direct you through the chambers that connect the long dark, incredibly beautiful. low ceiling caves replete with stalagmites and stalactites. This is a real example of Mother Nature's art and is considered by the ancient mayan civilization as sacred places to be used by priests and warriors for important rituals. This is such a cool experience and not something you can expect to find everywhere and that makes it even better!
A light snack is served while you head back to the Playa del Carmen ferry terminal. This is a special example of immersing in and connecting to the true culture of the Mayans.
- NOTE FERRIES DEPART COZUMEL ON THE HOUR. DON'T BE LATE.
- Only bio-degradable sun screen will be permitted.
- The total duration of this tour includes a round trip ferry ride, as well as travel time to/from your destination. Tour time will be approximately 6 hours pending the ferry schedule as well as your cruise ship's.
- The taxi to the meeting location takes approximately 5-10 minutes and costs about 10 USD each way.
- This excursion is not suitable for guests in wheelchairs or guests with walking difficulties.
- This tour is not available for Carnival Elation guests as the time in port is not long enough.
- You must be a proficient swimmer.
- This tour is strenuous.
- All participants must use a life vest during the snorkel portion of this program.
- All participants under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
Days offered: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday