Tasting Ensenada's Guadalupe Valley WineriesExplore > Mexico > Ensenada > Tasting Ensenada's Guadalupe Valley Wineries
Find the magic just outside of the city of Ensenada.
This tour dispels the belief that there is nothing to do in Ensenada!
As you drive outside of Ensenada, the landscape and the vegetation begin to change, particularly as you head in the direction of the Guadalupe Valley. This is the quintessential wine region in Mexico, and the clear blue skies, surrounding mountains, and a beautiful valley are contributing factors. You will soon see an area full of vineyards where the healthy vines thrive on sea breeze and sunshine.
Irrigation is the lifeblood of the vines here, a basic principle of desert agriculture. Just about all of the world’s warm-climate grape varieties are grown here, including Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Zinfandel, Nebbiolo, Syrah, Tempranillo, Malbec, Carignan, and Grenache, among red grapes. The wines tend to be full-bodied and high in alcohol, with lusty black fruit flavors and an occasional blast of heat and/or saltiness derived from saline-rich water used for irrigation. Among white wines, look to early harvested, oak-free Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Sémillon, and Viognier as best bets.
This is the perfect place to discover these Mexican wines and their value, as you walk among the vineyards. In the last two decades, the quality of wine here has risen to receive world recognition.
Your tour includes a visit to two outstanding producers in the area. Our goal is to take you to two contrasting wineries--one traditional and one modern--so you can really evaluate the different complexities.
- To get to the meeting point of the tour, it is a 5-minute walk or you can take the shuttle that transports passengers from the pier to the Convention Center Riviera del Pacifico ($1 per person).
- While not included in the trip cost, lunch is usually served from a local food truck. Occasionally a food truck may not be available as these are small, family run businesses that may close without warning for a multitude of reasons. If this is the case, then your guide will make a suggestion for a lunch stop based on your preference.
- The winery visits will change based on availability and will be determined by the tour operator.
- You must be 18 years old to participate in this tour.
- Please alert ShoreTrips in advance of any dietary restrictions or food allergies. We will do our best to accommodate.
- Please note that in Ensenada there is some confusion about ship time vs. local time. Please see your purser on your ship to clarify whether your ship changes its time to local time so you do not miss your excursion. As each ship is ruled by its captain, it is your responsibility to confirm this while you are sailing.
Days offered: 7 days a week