Wilderness Tour & Brown Bear SearchExplore > United States > Icy Strait/Hoonah > Wilderness Tour & Brown Bear Search
Because we know you want to see a bear while in Alaska.
When your cruise ship docks in Icy Strait, which is situated on an island with the highest concentration of bears in the world, then the only thing that makes sense is to go searching for bears. The land here is vastly uninhabited and brimming with wildlife.
We know that the ultimate goal when in Alaska is spotting a bear in the wild. Lucky for you, your guide studies the habits of bears closely and knows the right places to look. The best months for bear sightings are June, July, and August.
In June, we will look to grassy fields and tidal flats. It's mating season for bears and males are eager to show off. If you are lucky, maybe you will see two males fighting to prove their dominance to potential suitors.
In July, salmon migration is underway. Heading inland from the ocean, Pacific salmon flood Alaskan streams. We'll look for bears feeding along the coast.
By August, the salmon have made it further inland, up the rivers to shallow streams. Bears love chasing salmon and we'll do our best to spot them in action.
This is primarily a van-based tour, but we will occasionally get out and explore. This allows us to cover more ground, which will make our chances of seeing wildlife that much greater!
We'll travel to hidden and undiscovered places that the cruise tours do not go to. Your guide boasts "no two tours are alike," which is why we love this tour so much! It's possible to see other wildlife too, like otters, beavers, coastal brown bears, and more!
And flora fans, we haven't forgotten about you! Your guide will point out greens of interest.
- Depending on where your ship is docked, it will be either about a 10-minute walk to the meeting location or a 3-minute gondola ride (possible additional cost), followed by a 10-minute walk to the meeting location. Hotel guests will need to find their own way to the meeting location. Specific instructions will appear on your voucher.
- Please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled departure time. Out of courtesy to other guests, all tours depart on time.
- It is highly likely that you will see a lot of wildlife on this tour, but we cannot make wildlife guarantees.
- This is primarily a van-based tour.
- There is a maximum of 12 people per vehicle.
- This tour is not suitable for children under the age of 5.
- Although bear sightings are common, they are not guaranteed. Sightings can also not be guaranteed to be close by. They are, in fact, more common at a distance. Bears are wild with keen hearing and smelling abilities. Loud noises and fragrant perfumes/smoking will reduce your chances of sightings.
Days offered: 7 days a week