Explore the fascinating city of Athens before heading out of town to the ancient Temple of Poseidon.
If you are arriving on a cruise ship, your tour will depart from Piraeus, the ancient port of Athens. If you are staying in a hotel in Athens, your tour will begin at your hotel.
This tour includes:
- Round trip transportation from the cruise ship pier or hotel
- English-speaking driver/licensed guide
- Syntagma Square and monuments
- Parliament Building
- Memorial to the Unknown Soldier
- National Library
- Presidential Mansion
- Cape Sounion
- Temple of Poseidon
Your tour begins at Syntagma Square (where most of the famous ancient monuments are located), plus the Parliament Building, the Memorial to the Unknown Soldier, and the National Library.
Next we'll see the evzones in their picturesque uniforms and the Presidential Mansion on Herod Atticus Street.
Of course, you can't miss the Acropolis--the trademark of Athens. The ancient "high city" is topped with marble temples dedicated to the city's goddess Athena and dates back to the Late Bronze Age. Following your climb to the top, you will visit these architectural masterpieces: the Propylaea, the Temple of Athena Nike, the Erechtheion, and, finally, the magnificent Parthenon.
Now it's time to make your way to the southern-most point of Attica--Cape Sounion. Enjoy a splendid view of the Saronic Gulf and the little islands offshore before coming to the white marble pillars of the Temple of Poseidon.
Visit the ruins of the Temple of Poseidon, constructed in the 5th century BC over the ruins of a temple from the Archaic Period, perched above the sea at a height of nearly 200 feet. The 20-foot columns of the temple were intended to resist the weathering action of the sea air, and you can still see them there today.
- The price of this tour includes all transportation and a licensed guide to take you into the sites.
- Food, beverages, entrance fees, and gratuities are not included in the price.
- The 12€ per person entrance fee to the Acropolis and the 4€ per person entrance fee to Cape Sounion are not included in the price of this tour.
- The Acropolis may only be accessed by walking uphill. It is a strenuous walk and you must be in good physical condition. There is a pathway, but there are also steps near the top. Keep in mind that the weather may be very hot during the summer.
Days offered: 7 days a week