Private Tour Hawaii Volcanoes National Park With NaturalistExplore > United States > Big Island of Hawaii > Private Tour Hawaii Volcanoes National Park With Naturalist
This tour takes an in-depth look at the highlights of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.
For almost 100 years, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park has offered visitors a window into the past and astonished them with its breathtaking natural beauty.
This tour includes:
- Informative day with a Hawaii Volcanoes National Park certified naturalist guide
- Entrance fee to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- Visit to Jaggar Museum, Steam Vents, Kilauea Iki, Thurston Lava Tube, and Mauna Ulu
- Optional 1-mile hike to spatter wall
- Optional (if conditions allow it) eruption viewing
- Locally-sourced fresh fruit, snacks, juice & bottled water.
- Amazing photographs and memories!
Get an in-depth look at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park during this fascinating, informative tour. We'll start our journey at the Jaggar Museum with an introduction to Kilauea Volcano, the most active volcano in the world. Built on the edge of Kilauea Caldera, visitors enjoy spectacular views of the caldera and the main crater Halema`uma`u from this location. Additionally, Jaggar Museum's overlook is the best place to witness the current eruption that began March 11, 2008.
Our next stop is the Steam Vents. We'll feel the heat of the steam and explain the formation and cultural significance of this area, where ground water seeps down to the hot volcanic rocks and returns to the surface as steam.
The third stop is Kilauea Iki, a collapsed crater adjacent to the main summit caldera of the active volcano, Kilauea. Here we'll discuss the highest recorded lava fountaining event to ever occur in Hawaii (reaching nearly 1,900 ft. in 1959).
We'll continue on to the Thurston Lava Tube, where we'll explore lava tubes in depth and examine their formation, which occurs when a river of hot lava cools and crusts over and the still-molten interior continues to flow downhill. Eventually, the lava drains out, leaving a cave-like shell.
A drive down Chain of Craters Road brings us to Mauna Ulu, a landscape formed in a five-year eruption that re-created this magnificent land. We'll discover frozen lava fields and discuss fissure eruptions and lava trees. An optional 1-mile hike to the spatter wall is available prior to the end of your remarkable day at Hawaii Volcanoes Natinal Park.
- The tour price includes the entrance fee to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.
- Bottled water, local juice, and fresh fruits and snacks are also included.
- Wear layers of clothing, sturdy shoes, and long, lightweight hiking pants.
- Bring rain gear.
- This tour is for cruise ship guests only. If you are staying at a hotel, please contact ShoreTrips for a price.
- This tour is not appropriate for clients with limited mobility, infants, young children, pregnant women, or those with heart or breathing problems.
- Minimum age is 3 years old.
- You will be required to sign a waiver at check-in on your excursion date.
Days offered: 7 days a week