Plantation Great House And BeachExplore > Saint Kitts and Nevis > Saint Kitts > Plantation Great House And Beach
Get a bit of dramatic history. Tour this historic Great House and its gardens, and then take a dip!
The roads are an experience in themselves, and the island is historic, friendly, and beautiful.
On this tour you will:
• See the War Memorial and pass the stone petroglyphs
• Tour Romney Manor Great House and Gardens
• Tour Fairview Inn Great House
• Relax at Frigate Bay Beach
The island's Bay Road is your entry to beautiful St Kitts. As you enjoy the drive, note the names on the fronts of the vans, which serve as taxis all over the island. Most will bring you a smile and an understanding of the people here.
On your way to the renowned Romney Manor, you will see the War Memorial, a cenotaph built to recognize those who fought in the World Wars. Then, you will turn off on to Old Road, the location of the first British town in the entire Caribbean. Sir Thomas Warner landed there on January 28, 1623, with 15 settlers. You will hear about the result of that landing, which will create a scenario of the past in your mind. A few stone petroglyhs still exist and you can see them on the left before you turn on to the road that leads to Romney Manor.
The gardens on the estate were first owned by the Carib Indians and then by Sam Jefferson, the great-great grandfather of U.S. President Thomas Jefferson. At the functioning Batik Factory located there artisans demonstrate the complicated process of turning soft Sea Island cotton into colorful batik.
Your next stop will bring you into Romney Manor, where you will see the original kitchen and bathing room, historic courtyard, and 'history room' packed with information. A visit to the cellar will allow you to purchase a souvenir. And the 2-acre tropical botanical garden surrounding the Great House features interpretive signs that enable you to move at your own pace.
Your next stop will be at Fairview Inn Great House, a fully restored French-style Great House.
In the past, the Great Houses stood at the center of interest in St. Kitts, but now the beaches occupy that position. And so, at the end this tour, we will take you to Frigate Bay Beach to relax and swim.
• Please bring your swimsuits, towels, camera, sunscreen, and a hat for protection so you can enjoy the tour and the beach.
• All entrance fees are included in the tour price.
• There are restaurant and restroom facilities located at the beach. Beach chairs and umbrellas are available for rent for USD $5. Your guide will drop you off and pick you up at the end of your beach time, at the Monkey Bar Restaurant.
• If you wish to spend more time at the beach, you may take a taxi back to the pier. The cost is approximately USD $10 for up to 4 people. Taxis are readily available at Frigate Bay Beach.
• Minimum 4 passengers required.
• Maximum 40 passengers.
Days offered: 7 days a week