This trip is not for the tender of heart. If you're in good shape, you'll have a memorable time.
The northern end of Bonaire is often battered by strong waves that break against the black volcanic and coral rocks. The area has unusual coastal formations with grottos and caves dotting the landscape.
This tour includes:
• Round trip transportation
• Exploration of 2 caves
• Option to swim and/or snorkel
• A one-of-a-kind experience!
Your guide, an avid outdoorsman, will bring you away from the crowded Kralendijk to the remote, arid terrain of the north. The cacti, some of which is used for soup and another for cactus fencing, are everywhere. The road weaves between limestone walls and strange rock formations and hidden among them are the entrances to various caves.
On this tour, you'll visit two different caves: a "dry" one with stalactites, stalagmites, and helectites, and a "wet" one in which you can snorkel in crystal clear water.
The first cave is easy. It is getting to the large entrance that is a challenge. Upon your arrival, you must be able to climb a ladder about 15' high. That is the only trick to this cave--reaching its mouth. The second cave requires you to climb down (and up) with the aid of a rope (also about 15') or ladder of 15', depending on which cave you visit.
You won't be crawling inside the caves, as there is ample height to stand as you make your way, with lit headgear, through the caves and, in one, to a small lake. Your guide loves his island and understands the caves and will give you lots of information as you make your way to the lake. If you wish, you can have a swim, even snorkel, here.
This is an active tour and you must be in excellent physical condition.
• Dress comfortably, wear good athletic shoes, and bring water with you.
• The guide asks that you do not wear sunscreen to protect the plant and animal life in the caves.
• You must bring your own snorkel gear, but there is no need to bring fins.
• There is a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 6 for this tour.
• You must be 10 years old to participate.
• You MUST be in excellent physical shape to take this tour. It is a strenuous experience. The second cave especially requires physical strength and fitness. You will be expected to climb a ladder of 15' or scramble up a rocky slope with the aid of a 15' rope, depending on the cave you visit.
• You should not take this tour if you are pregnant, have back problems, or have a fear of heights .
• This tour is not available on January 1st.
Days offered: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday