Imagine standing on the runners of a dogsled in the middle of a snowfield!
This is really something special. We happened to be in Alaska during the Iditarod Dog Sled Race and it seems to affect every corner of the state, although it takes place in the north. This experience, along with your helicopter flight to the snowfield, will be a day you'll never forget!
This tour runs from May 14 until September 7th, weather permitting.
Glacier-carved mountains unfold in front of your eyes as you embark on your helicopter flight to the camp. The flight is about 15 to 20 minutes each way, depending on winds and weather. You will see that each glacier has its own personality.
As you land on the Mendenhall Glacier, you will hear the huskies barking their greeting, as they are as anxious to get moving as you are. You will have some time to chat with the mushers and hear unique personal accounts of the Iditarod and Yukon Quest experiences. You will be given instructions on stopping and using the brakes, if you want to drive the sled.
You will set out on a 1 1/2 to 2-mile loop and will be able to stop for photos, as well as to change places with your companion, if you wish. Your total time on the snow is one hour that you will never forget!
The actual excursion length is approximately 1.5 hours from liftoff at the airport to return. The total trip length, including transfer time to and from the cruise ship pier, is approximately 3 hours.
-When choosing a trip departure time, you must allow a minimum of 1 hour between the time your ship docks and the time you are picked up at the pier.
- Dress warmly and in layers. Often the temperature on the glacier is colder than you expect.
- You will be outfitted with a glacier over-boot prior to embarking on your trip.
- Cameras and binoculars are allowed on board, but no cases of any kind and no bags are allowed, including backpacks, diaper bags, purses, etc. Lock boxes are available at the helicopter office.
- Bring sunglasses.
- NO MINIMUM FITNESS LEVEL REQUIRED.
- There is a mandatory surcharge for those weighing 250 lbs. or more (including clothing, footwear, and cameras, which may add an additional 10-15 pounds). All passenger weights are required by the FAA. Prepare to be weighed at the time of the tour.
- Children under the age of 12 are not permitted to fly without a guardian.
- There is a maximum of 6 passengers per hour for this trip. If you have more than 6 people in your group, please contact ShoreTrips.
- This tour runs from May 14th until September 7th, weather permitting. Operation of all tours is dependent on weather and snow conditions. If the dogsled tour is not able to operate because of snow conditions, the helicopter company will make every effort to accommodate you on an alternate excursion.
- The helicopter company has a no bag/no Ipads or tablets policy on their tours. In addition, no Go-Pro Sticks, tripods, or other extendible items are allowed on tour. No Drones are allowed on tour. Additionally, the Galaxy Note 7 will not be allowed on any of our flights. Lockers are available to leave such items.
Days offered: 7 days a week