Private: Chilkoot Wilderness And Wildlife ViewingExplore > United States > Haines > Private: Chilkoot Wilderness And Wildlife Viewing
A taste of Alaska's rugged natural beauty, wildlife, and amazing ecosystems!
Upon arrival in Haines, you will meet your expert naturalist guide for a drive to Chilkoot Lake State Park. This park has it all: a turquoise lake surrounded by snowy mountain peaks, a salmon-filled river flowing into the sea, and important Tlingit cultural sights. Bald eagles, harbor seals, and brown bears are often seen here.
Beginning in late July, the river fills with migrating salmon while brown bears come down to the river's edge to feed. As the number of salmon in the river increases, the likelihood of seeing bears down along the river increases, with a good probability of bear sightings from mid-August through late September.
As you drive through the park, your guide knows where to stop for the best views and the possibility of wildlife sightings. Your guide is equipped with a powerful spotting scope to bring the wildlife in close and will help interpret the behavior of the various wildlife and explain how the animals fit into the Chilkoot's complex ecosystem. Make sure you bring your camera to take advantage of the numerous photo opportunities.
- We recommend that you dress in layers, wear good walking shoes, and bring a raincoat, umbrella, or hat.
- There will be spotting scopes on the bus for you to use.
- A boxed lunch is included in the price and includes a turkey sandwich on organic whole wheat bread, fresh fruit, a freshly baked cookie, juice and bottled water. Vegetarian and gluten free options are available with advance notice.
- Restrooms are available throughout this excursion.
- Minimum age 7 years old.
- A minimum of 4 passengers required to run this tour, and can accommodate a maximum of 14 passengers.
- This tour is not wheelchair accessible.
Days offered: 7 days a week