Two Glacier Exploration By HelicopterExplore > United States > Juneau > Two Glacier Exploration By Helicopter
What could be better than walking on a glacier? Walking on 2 glaciers!
Experience the majesty of the massive Juneau Icefield from above and on foot. There's simply no better way to grasp the enormity and stark beauty of this wonder of nature.
As your helicopter lifts off the ground and your bird's eye view slowly shifts from cityscape to steep alpine ridges, you might have to pinch yourself to make sure you're not dreaming. Surrounded by spectacular rock formations, deep blue crevasses, and lush rainforests of the ancient Juneau Icefield, the excitement builds for your landing on this otherworldly glacial terrain.
The sites for your glacier landing will be chosen by your pilot, based on the day's weather, wind, and visibility conditions. But rest assured that whether it's the Taku, Norris, Herbert, Gilkey, Hole in the Wall, Mendenhall or one of the other 36 named glaciers contained within the Icefield, you are in for an unforgettable experience. Your experienced, knowledgeable pilot, who is also your guide, will traverse the glacier's surface with you, pointing out and explaining the geology of the icefalls, meltwater pools, and streams of this magnificent landscape.
The actual length of this tour is approximately 80 minutes, with 50 minutes of flying time and two 15-minute glacier walks. The total tour length, including transfer time to and from the cruise ship pier, is approximately 2.75 hours.
- Dress warmly in layers. Bring sunglasses, gloves, hat and rain gear if you have it. Wear walking shoes or sneakers. Glacier boots will be provided as needed.
- Cameras and binoculars are allowed on board, but no cases of any kind and no bags are allowed, including backpacks, diaper bags, purses, etc. Lockboxes are available at the helicopter office.
- Please choose morning or afternoon departure. Your exact tour time will be determined by your ship's schedule in port and will be provided on your voucher.
- Tour length includes transfer time and safety briefing.
- This tour is available from May - September.
- There is a mandatory surcharge for those weighing 250 lbs. or more (including clothing, footwear, and cameras, which may add an additional 10-15 pounds). All passenger weights are required by the FAA. Prepare to be weighed at the time of the tour.
- Children under 24 months do not need a ticket unless they require their own seat. They are considered lap children as defined by the FAA. You will be asked during the check-out process if there are any lap children in your party.
- Children under the age of 12 are not permitted to fly without a guardian.
- A parental consent form is required for all passengers ages 12-17 who will be flying unaccompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Parents/guardians must be on the docks prior to departure time if a waiver needs to be signed.
- The helicopter company has a no bag/no Ipads or tablets policy on their tours. In addition, no Go-Pro Sticks, tripods, or other extendible items are allowed on tour. No Drones are allowed on tour. Additionally, the Galaxy Note 7 will not be allowed on any of our flights. Lockers are available to leave such items.
Days offered: 7 days a week