Juneau City, Hatchery, And Mendenhall Glacier Tour - Ncl Joy, Bliss, And Jewel Only **operating 2022+**Explore > United States > Juneau > Juneau City, Hatchery, And Mendenhall Glacier Tour - Ncl Joy, Bliss, And Jewel Only **operating 2022+**
Visit one of Alaska's most famous glaciers!
The story of the beginning of Juneau is fascinating. It was gold that spurred the birth of the town that was originally named Harrisburg, later renamed Juneau. The town was founded in 1880 by gold seekers Joe Juneau and Richard Harris. However, it was the Tlingit Chief Kowee that first pointed Harris and Juneau in the direction of gold!
For over 60 years, the area around Juneau had 3 of the world's largest gold mines. The three, Alaska Juneau mine, Alaska Gastineau mine and the Treadwell mine, produced $158 million worth of gold at a time when gold was priced between $20.00 and $35.00 an ounce.
Later Juneau catered mostly to fishermen and to territorial government officials. Commercial establishments lined Front Street, adjacent to wharves on the Gastineau Channel. As permanent structures replaced those hastily erected buildings as a result of the boom town period, merchants prospered while mining operations expanded up to the early 1900s. Today, many buildings from 1883-1939 stand in Juneau’s Downtown Historic District. Due partly to historic district design review standards the newly constructed buildings complement the earlier buildings in size.
The Juneau downtown buildings are an excellent representation of early twentieth century commercial architecture in small Pacific coast communities. Late Victorian, Late 19th and Early 20th Century American Movements, and Modern Movement architectural styles are represented by buildings in the Juneau Downtown Historic District which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Your narrated tour will take you through the historic downtown of Juneau. Fishing remains a major part of the industry here and you will stop at a fish hatchery as well as the famous breaching whale statue.
From here, you will be taken to the shuttle stop, where a shuttle to the Mendenhall Glacier comes every 30 minutes. You can visit the Mendenhall Glacier Visitors Center. Your time here is self-guided, so you can explore the area as you wish. Roam the grounds, snap photos, take in the interactive exhibits or turn to the on duty ranger who can satisfy your curiosity about the natural wonders of this glacier.
- Tour order may be changed. Tour will include a 45 minute tour of Juneau. Following this tour, you will be taken to a location where there is a 1/2 hourly Mendenhall Glacier Shuttle. You can spend as much time at the Glacier as you would like, though most people opt to spend 60 - 90 minutes. This tour is approximately 3 hours if you spend one hour at the Mendenhall Glacier. The final stop is at the Macaulay Salmon Hatchery.
- This tour includes a permit to the Mendenhall Glacier.
- Tour ordered may be reversed depending on the day.
- This is a large group tour. The tour timings are designed to accommodate guests arriving on the NCL Joy, NCL Bliss, and NCL Jewel.
- Please book the Juneau City Trolley and Mendenhall Glacier tour if you are arriving on another ship.
Days offered: Tuesday, Thursday