Escape into Ketchikan’s best-kept secret!
Grab your camera and venture into this lush, green landscape that will leave you utterly mesmerized and wanting to explore even more of Alaska’s wilderness.
The Alaskan wilderness is known for its rugged yet beautiful landscape, most of which is tucked away and inaccessible to the common traveler. But with a local as your guide, this excursion reveals what others don’t: a local favorite Alaskan wilderness experience right outside of Ketchikan.
The adventure begins even before you hit the trail. You’ll drive through historic downtown on your way to the trailhead as your local guide shares information and stories about the history, culture and people of Ketchikan. Once you’ve arrived, your guide will lead you up a secluded road to a lush, 3-mile rainforest trail. This trail hugs a beautiful lake perched right above Ketchikan!
As you begin your hike, listen closely as your guide gives you an overview of all the flora and fauna surrounding you. Take a deep breath and let the pure mountain air envelope you as you admire the giant cedar, hemlock and spruce trees towering overhead.
And during the spring, the melting snow creates a gorgeous waterfall to the lake. Although make sure you keep an eye out for bears year-round as they are often spotted near.
After your hike, visit one of the oldest bars still operating in Ketchikan and indulge in a well-earned local brew, either draft beer or coffee, and a classic Alaskan snack of smoked salmon dip with crackers. This is the perfect place to chat with locals and nature-loving travelers alike. End the adventure at Arctic Bar, a short walk from the cruise ship pier.
- Tour concludes at a local tavern. One beer or coffee is included. You will return to the cruise pier on your own. The walk from the tavern to the cruise pier is approximately 5 minutes.
- Smoked salmon dip with crackers are included.
- Tour requires a minimum of 4 to operate.
- Maximum 10 guests per departure.
- You must be able to walk 3 miles along uneven terrain that includes several stairs plus uphill and downhill portions.
- Bottled water will be provided.
- You must be 21 years old to consume alcohol.
Days offered: 7 days a week