Queen Charlotte Sound Guided WalkExplore > New Zealand > Picton > Queen Charlotte Sound Guided Walk
Discover Picton's beautiful new Link Pathway, offering dazzling views of Queen Charlotte Sound.
The Link Pathway began as a brilliant idea by the residents of inner Queen Charlotte Sound who wished to form a connection with residents of the many small towns that dot the way from Picton to Havelock.
Experience Picton’s newest trail, The Link Pathway, which connects the bays and coves of Queen Charlotte Sound between the port towns of Picton and Havelock. This purpose-built walk and cycleway, created by the hard work of mainly community volunteers and supported with funding from a number of sources including the local council, has been designed to maximize views of the Queen Charlotte Sound.
You'll view some lovely New Zealand native flora, including sub-tropical rainforest plants, such as Punga ferns and Nikau palms alongside regenerating forest, New Zealand manuka, and broadleaf species.
Wildlife is plentiful and can be both seen and heard along the way. Keep eyes and ears attentive for native birds such as fantails, tui, and bellbirds as well as shorebirds such as oystercatchers. In Shakespeare Bay, where the pathway mirrors the coastline, you might even catch a glimpse of graceful spotted eagle rays "flying" through the clear waters.
Remnants of a WWII signals station provide historical interest and a spectacular view down the main channel of the Queen Charlotte Sound between Wedge Point and Picton.
- If you are arriving via cruise ship, you will take a free shuttle from the pier into Picton. This is standard for all tours in Picton and will be very easy to locate. From the drop-off point, the meeting location is approximately a 5-minute walk. Specific information and a map will be provided on your voucher.
- If you are staying at a hotel, you will need to find your own transportation to the meeting location. Specific information and a map will be provided on your voucher.
- Wear comfortable walking shoes or boots and dress in layers depending on the weather.
- Please bring a daypack, a raincoat, sunblock, sunglasses and your own water bottle.
- This tour requires a minimum of 4 passengers.
- This tour takes a maximum of 11 passengers.
- The minimum age to participate in this tour is 8 years old.
- This tour includes 2 hours walking the Link Pathway and is suitable for all ages (over 8 yrs) with a moderate level of fitness.
Days offered: 7 days a week