Rainforest And River Horseback RideExplore > Costa Rica > Puntarenas > Rainforest And River Horseback Ride
See the real Costa Rica from a "horses eye" view.
Explore Costa Rica's lush rainforests and incredible wildlife with the help of an equine friend.
This exciting tour begins with a ride through the countryside in a comfortable, air-conditioned minibus. Along the way, your guide will point out highlights, including many plantations found in this lush setting. Mango, sugar and many citrus fruits come from Costa Rica and you will see rural communities and fruit stands interspersed with the scenery.
About an hour's drive from the city, your destination is a private stable, set up for fun, safety and excitement. Comfortable facilities and lovely views will get you started on the right foot (or should we say "hoof"?). A corral full of gentle and well-kept horses will be waiting for some exercise. After a short safety briefing, your experienced guide, who has worked with horses all his life, will pair you up with the perfect horse to match your skill level. With Western saddles for comfort, all riders, from novice to experienced, will relish their time atop their well-trained, beautiful horse.
As the ride through this 80-acre private reserve begins, your guide will lead your group into the dense rainforest and explain the natural flora and fauna that resides here. This forest is loaded with toucans, Scarlet Macaws, and White-Faced Monkeys and though we never promise, it is likely you will hear and perhaps see them. The ride continues past mangroves and beaches along the incredible Tarcoles River. You will find the 2-hour ride to be the perfect amount of time. Back at the stable, you'll find refreshing, delicious, local fruit waiting for you.
After boarding the mini-bus again, it's just a short ride to the Tarcoles River Bridge. Keep your camera handy because you're likely to spot huge American crocodiles, (often as many as 20 or more), aquatic birds, Scarlet Macaws, howler monkeys, and other amazing creatures.
Moving on, there will be a short stop for shopping in case you'd like to purchase a special souvenir to remind you of your day in Costa Rica.
Back in town, you have the option of spending some time strolling the boulevards or returning to the cruise pier. If you stay in town, you'll make your own way back to the pier, just a short walk away.
- Wear long pants, t-shirt, close-toed shoes, sunglasses, a hat, and insect repellent.
- Please note that in Costa Rica there is some confusion about ship time vs. local time. Please see the purser on your ship to clarify whether your ship changes its time to local time so you don't miss your excursion. As each ship is ruled by its captain, it is your responsibility to confirm this while you are sailing.
- The minimum age for this tour is 12 years old.
- You must be in good physical condition to participate in this activity.
- Pregnant women and those with heart or back problems or epilepsy are not allowed to participate in this activity.
- This tour does not operate on Christmas Day.
Days offered: 7 days a week