Easy, Breezy Bike Exploration Of WellingtonExplore > New Zealand > Wellington > Easy, Breezy Bike Exploration Of Wellington
Discover this interesting, hip city via bike paths for safe, fun touring.
The emphasis of this free-wheeling tour is enjoying the sights of Wellington at a leisurely pace while learning about 6 movers and shakers who have shaped New Zealand's capital into one of the most liveable cities on the planet.
Using only bicycle paths and cycle lanes (mostly flat), you'll find your trusty bike will allow you to cover more ground, while still maintaining a leisurely pace. With your experienced local guide leading the way, you'll discover Wellington's highlights, such as the famous "Beehive, home to the executive wing of the New Zealand Parliament Buildings and one of the most recognizable buildings in the country.
See the Wellington Stadium, (locally known as the "Cake Tin), venue of major sporting events, and stop to admire Te Papa Museum. The Maori name for the museum, 'Te Papa Tongarewa', translates literally to 'container of treasures'.
You'll cruise along progressive Cuba Street, an eclectic collection of cafes, boutiques, small stores, art galleries, and music shops and pedal on to Oriental Bay, a Wellington suburb nestled against the northern slope of Mount Victoria, to admire some of the area's best beaches.
Breeze past the beautiful, historic Wellington Railway Station which manages to retain an open, airy feel despite being New Zealand's busiest transportation hub.
Pedaling on, your guide will fill you in on the prominent movies filmed in and around Wellington, including the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Avatar, King Kong and the Chronicles of Narnia and relate the importance of the film-making industry to the city and its economy.
You will be blown away by stories about living in the "windiest city in the world" and discover how Wellington has made excellent use of this distinctive aspect of its climate before heading back to the starting point of the tour.
- Cruise ship passengers do have to take a free shuttle followed by a short walk from the cruise ship, or a short taxi ride to reach the meeting location. Specific information will be on your voucher.
- This tour uses traditional bicycles but if you prefer an electric bike, you can upgrade when you check-in for the tour. The additional cost will be paid directly to the bike shop at the time of the tour.
- This tour covers approximately 6 miles during the course of the ride.
- This tour requires a minimum of 2 participants.
- The maximum number of guests on this tour is 21, although there is usually a much smaller number.
- Contact ShoreTrips if you are interested in purchasing this program privately.
- You must be at least 4' 8" to participate in this program.
- Although the content of this tour is geared toward adults, children may participate but must be accompanied by an adult.
- You should be comfortable riding a bike, getting on and off to walk across roads and be able to safely ride between pedestrians while on shared paths.
- If you're interested in an afternoon departure, please contact ShoreTrips.
Days offered: 7 days a week