Private: Flavors Of Hobart And MonaExplore > Australia > Hobart > Private: Flavors Of Hobart And Mona
The perfect combination of culture and cuisine.
Mt. Wellington, over 4,000' high, stands guard over the charming harbor town of Hobart. With a fascinating history and an up-and-coming attitude, don't miss this eclectic, culturally rich regional capital.
Sit back in your luxury touring vehicle and enjoy a selection of tasty local treats as your guide discusses the day's events with you.
Your local Hobartian guide is an expert who will relate tales of local characters, convicts, and history as you stroll the city's back streets visiting private galleries, cafes, chocolate shops, bakeries, breweries, distilleries, and popular local haunts. Go behind the scenes to meet the people behind the products and glean some of the secrets that make their offerings so enticing.
You'll visit Salamanca Place, rows of former warehouses that have been converted into galleries, shops, and restaurants. Nearby Battery Point, where the sense of history is palpable, once contained a battery of guns to protect Hobart from a possible attack from the French in Polynesia. Today, Battery Point's narrow, winding streets are dotted with charming, well-kept Colonial-era cottages, quaint cafes and corner pubs.
On top of this already special day, we suggest the optional upgrade of a trip to the top of Mt. Wellington. You will be greatly rewarded with spectacular, panoramic views of Southern Tasmania and the Derwent River below.
If you'd like to have lunch at the wonderful Agrarian Kitchen (purchase during check-out) it's just a short drive from the city, through rolling hills and country pastures. This destination restaurant celebrates seasonality with an ever-changing menu highlighting only the freshest ingredients from its own farm and other local purveyors. See their garden and receive an escorted tour of the grounds and the kitchen, where the magic happens. Your sensational 2-course lunch is enhanced by a glass of local beer or wine.
If you'd prefer to have lunch somewhere other than The Agrarian Kitchen, let you guide know and he/she will be happy to recommend several delicious options.
We haven't forgotten the "art" portion of the tour, which takes place at MONA, (Museum of Old and New Art), whose boundary-pushing installations are a must-see. "Experiential, thought-provoking, unconventional, innovative" are just a few of the words used to describe it. Open your mind to its concepts and challenge yourself to rethink your perception of art.
Although your guide will be happy to accompany you through MONA, the museum was designed to be explored on your own, at your own pace. If you tour on your own, you might want to purchase the optional ferry ride back downtown (during the check-out process). The ferry, itself a sea-faring work of art, is an experience all on its own. Head to your "riding-in-style" upgraded seats in the "Posh Pit". Your cushy seat includes lovely wines, delicious canapes and lively narration of local sites as you cruise the river. Upon landing, you're just a very short walk back to the cruise pier.
If you prefer not to take the ferry back to town, your guide will be waiting to return you to the cruise pier or your hotel.
- If you choose the optional trip to the top of Mt. Wellington, bring a jacket as it is cooler at the summit.
- If you do not wish to purchase lunch at the Agrarian Kitchen, your guide will suggest several other restaurants in the area offering great food. Cafe-style dining is available at MONA. Plan on spending approximately 30-40AUD without alcoholic beverages.
- If you do not purchase lunch at the Agrarian Kitchen, you will not tour the kitchen, the farm or the grounds. Your guide will substitute other interesting venues in the area.
- Children under age 5 are free of charge.
- Market stops are only available on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Public holidays requiring purchase of holiday supplement for 2019 are: December 25th and December 26th.
- Public holidays requiring purchase of holiday supplement for 2020 are: January 1st and 27th, April 10th, April 13th, April 14th, April 25th, June 8th, December 25th, and December 28th.
Days offered: Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday