Otago Harbor Wildlife Cruise And Larnach CastleExplore > New Zealand > Dunedin > Otago Harbor Wildlife Cruise And Larnach Castle
View the natural beauty of Otago Harbor, followed by the man-made beauty of Larnach Castle.
You'd be hard-pressed to find a more dedicated, passionate boat captain. Her enthusiasm for her city's natural beauty is contagious and she loves sharing it with visitors from near and far.
The rugged beauty of Otago Harbor is undeniable. Its hilly, volcanic terrain, accented with deep grooves and furrows, provides a beautiful backdrop to the deep blue water. You'll head out into the harbor in your fast, custom-built, comfortable boat in search of local wildlife including several types of albatross, fur seals, and other sea birds, such as Cape Petrels, Caspian Terns and Black Swans. Sometimes even dolphins and penguins make an appearance as well. Choose a spot on the spacious deck for eye-level views of wildlife or watch through the large viewing windows in the spacious heated cabin.
As you cruise the harbor, your enthusiastic guide will relate fascinating stories of the area's maritime history, including historic shipwrecks resting in their watery graves and learn about the nearby quarantine stations on Quarantine Island.
Back on land, heading off along the Otago Peninsula you will arrive at Larnach Castle. When talk turns to castles, people generally think of Ireland, Scotland, or somewhere in Europe. Those locations are home to some pretty amazing castles, but imagine them rising above the world-famous beauty that is the New Zealand coastline. The leaders of Europe's past would be loving life on this perch high above the Otago Peninsula!
No expense was spared in the creation of New Zealand's only castle. Marble from Italy, slate from Wales, floor tiles from England, and glass from Venice are just a few of particulars the Larnach family demanded during their gold rush-fueled creation.
Your guided tour will include the castle itself, the castle tower for spectacular views of Port Chalmers, Dunedin and the Otago Peninsula, the world-class gardens, the historic stables and more. Your guide will relate stories, both scandalous and tragic about the castle's construction.
- Cruise ship passengers will be picked up from the cruise ship pier.
- Hotel guests can either find their own way to the meeting location or purchase round trip transfers from their hotel for an additional charge at the time of booking. Transfers include a city tour.
- Binoculars will be available for use during the tour.
- Please wear warm clothing. If needed, jackets will be provided during the tour.
- The boat has a heated cabin and a restroom.
- The cost of lunch is not included in the price of the tour.
- This tour requires a minimum of 2 passengers to operate.
- This tour can accommodate up to 12 passengers.
- All guests must be able to step down into the boat and climb many stairs at Larnach Castle.
- Hotel guests wishing to purchase the optional Round Trip hotel transfers must purchase a minimum of 2 spaces. This transfer includes a city tour.
Days offered: 7 days a week