Private: Explore The Best Of Puerto Plata With Cable CarExplore > Dominican Republic > Puerto Plata > Private: Explore The Best Of Puerto Plata With Cable Car
A private highlights tour of of Puerto Plata, including lunch in the Victorian District.
Originally designed by Christopher Columbus, Puerto Plata quickly became the main commercial port on the island and hasn't looked back. It's tumultuous past can still be seen in landmarks of today and the area doesn't seem to be slowing down a bit, as luxurious hotels play host to visitors from all over the world.
Originally designed by Christopher Columbus, Puerto Plata quickly became the main commercial port on the island and hasn't looked back. Its tumultuous past can still be seen in landmarks today and the area doesn't seem to be slowing down a bit, as luxurious hotels play host to visitors from all over the world.
Your journey will start with a ride on the only cable car in the Caribbean to the top of Mount Isabela de Torres. Here you will explore the stunning views, exotic gardens and see a representation of a typical countryside home. Atop the mountain is also a perfectly sculpted Christ the Redeemer Statue which is a small version of the iconic representation found in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Feel free to tell your friends that you made a pit stop in Rio.
The cable car will take you back down the mountain where you will re-board your vehicle for a stop in the Victorian historic district. Enjoy a lovely lunch including a glass of wine or a rum drink. Then take a trip back in time to 1577 with a visit to Fort San Felipe. Here you will explore a remarkable Spanish fortress that might be hard for you to wrap your head around. This location was built to protect Puerto Plata from pirates and is perfectly located on a hill overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. The walls never saw much action and on various occasions served as a prison.
A stop at Pargue Independicia will once again highlight the Victorian past of Puerto Plata before your final return to the pier.
Complimentary snacks and beverages are served during the tour.
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes, lightweight clothing, sunscreen and sunglasses.
- Entrance fees, snacks and complimentary beverages throughout the tour are included in the price.
Alcoholic beverages cannot be served while the vehicle is moving but will resume at stops.
- The walk to the meeting location takes approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Although this tour is not available for those using wheelchairs, walkers or canes, if you do have somewhat limited mobility, we suggest:
- Taking the complimentary, rickshaw-like, chauffeured, "pedi-cabs" available from the gangway to the the taxi area (a tip is expected).
- At the taxi area you can take a taxi to the meeting location outside the main gate for the lowest posted rate (flat rate for up to 5 guests).
- Please note that the cable car will be closed for renovations from June 3rd-July 14th 2019.
- Participants must be able to stand and walk completely unassisted. This program is not wheelchair accessible and not appropriate for guests with walkers or canes.
- The minimum age to participate is 8.
- You must be 18 years to drink alcohol on this excursion. Other non-alcoholic options are available.
Days offered: 7 days a week