Food tours are peaking in popularity and this one should not be missed!
Everyone knows that there are no calories if you eat while walking!
Portland is a beautiful city to walk but one where the secrets and the special spots are difficult to find. Guided by a local, you will discover an easy path through the alleyways and the secondary streets while listening to the history of this city. The narration is engaging and each of the many stops along the way will help to connect you to the past while you taste the present, and like many places in the U.S., Portland has become known for its terrific Maine cuisine.
Each tour varies a little based on time and season but many of the tastes you will enjoy will be created by the sea while others find their inspiration from the countryside. Local farms and special fishing boats bring to life nature at its best and in the hands of the creative chefs in the area, you will wish you lived in Portland!
This tour does promise to turn you on. Whether it is New England clam or fish chowder or lobster and Aroostook county potato pizza, you will get it while its hot. From the nearby farms you will most likely taste some Maine artisanal cheeses as you learn what makes them taste so special. Depending on the season you may be treated to some lobster mac and cheese or small plates creatively designed with ingredients such as sweet peas or a milk braised cauliflower from a popular local restaurant.
Of course there are local handcrafted ales and Maine bitters and you may get a lesson in making a cocktail. Mead wine is usually on the list - unlikely you have heard of it before but you may decide to smuggle a bottle in your luggage to take home. Sweets, of course, are included - perhaps the famous whoopee pie or a special donut. A famous ice cream shop is local and may be one of the choices of the day.
This small group experience allows everyone time to taste, talk, and share. Leave with a full belly and some new friends.
- Please alert us in advance to any allergies or dietary restrictions. We will do our best to accommodate.
- The meeting location is just a short walk from the cruise pier.
- All food and beverage tastings are included.
- Gratuities are appreciated.
- Please dress comfortably with good walking shoes. Expect to walk 1 mile and sometimes less, mostly flat with one gradual up hill.
- Tour will run rain or shine.
- Selection of foods may change and the order of the tour may change.
- Most of the tour you will be standing; a couple of stops will have seats.
- We suggest bringing water in a refillable bottle, a hat or sunscreen.
- The tour will end just a couple of blocks from its starting point.
- This tour requires a minimum of 2 participants and takes a maximum of 14 per departure.
- This tour can be enjoyed by all ages.
- Several but not all of the stops will have restroom facilities.
- We must know if you are in a wheelchair at the time of booking as some of the stops have steps.
Days offered: 7 days a week