Private: Casablanca Half Day TourExplore > Morocco > Casablanca > Private: Casablanca Half Day Tour
Discover Casablanca - it's not what you are expecting!
Welcome to Morocco, and the modern heartbeat of the Kingdom - the bustling cosmopolitan city of Casablanca. Although the city’s name rings bells all over the world, due to the 1942 Hollywood classic, the reality is not exactly what you would expect. The central activities of Casablanca are largely business-based, as it is the country’s largest center of commerce. Between and beyond the modern highrises, chic hotels, and busy boulevards, you'll find neighborhoods scattered with unexpected corners of historical intrigue.
After meeting your guide, your first visit will be to the Hassan II Mosque. This stunning piece of architecture is the second largest mosque in the Islamic world, quite a claim. This masterpiece is supported by 78 granite, marble, and onyx pillars, and it features a retractable green-tiled roof, as well as a 210-foot high minaret. Inside, you will see beautiful frescoes, painted and sculptured woods, stuccos of intricate designs, and ornamental arabesques of flowing lines, so typical of Moorish and Arabic decoration.
Continuing on, we will visit the winding Habous neighborhood, where one can discover smaller-scale Moroccan handicrafts in the traditional souk, or marketplace, frequented by locals and visitors alike. Discover a little more about Moroccan style and design while exploring small shops overflowing with ceramics, leather work, beautiful tea sets and of course typical Moroccan babouche, the handmade leather slippers that dot the inside of most Moroccan households.
Habous is also the perfect location for relaxing in an outdoor cafe and enjoying a traditional Moroccan mint tea, brewed with gunpowder green tea, fresh mint, and plenty of sugar. For those interested in sampling some of Casablancas tasty snacks, pop into Patisserie Bennis, a famous local bakery where you must try the local specialty, a pastry known as the Gazelle’s Horn! In addition to navigating the souk, you can take in the entrance to the King’s Royal Palace as well as the neighboring courthouse.
Next, take a stroll around the city’s Art Deco District, another interesting example of Morocco’s history of combined cultures. Built early in the last century, the European influence of the downtown architecture is a surprising treat for the eyes. Particularly notice the towering French-inspired apartment and office buildings, with distinctly Moroccan happenings on the ground level such as small hanoots (corner stores), traditional hammams, fresh fruit and flower carts making their way through town. From here, you’ll head back to your ship.
- Please note that this tour is available in the morning or afternoon, however, if conducted in the afternoon, this tour will not include a guided visit of the Hassan II mosque as this is only possible in the morning.
- The $20 entry fee to the Hassan II Mosque is not included in the price of the tour and is payable at the time of the tour.
- Mint tea is included in the tour cost. Additional food and beverages are available for purchase.
- One bottle of mineral water will be provided for each guest.
- Modest dress is required when visiting the mosque. All guests must wear long pants or long dresses (no shorts). Women will need a shawl to cover their head. All guests must remove their shoes before entering the mosque. Please bring a plastic bag to carry your shoes.
- This tour can accommodate a collapsible wheelchair. All wheelchair guests must be able to transfer in and out of the tour vehicle with assistance from someone in their party. You will be asked during the check out process if anyone in your party will be using a wheelchair.
- While most sites on this tour can be accessed with a wheelchair, they might be sites where a wheelchair cannot move freely.
Days offered: 7 days a week