Explore Thailand's ancient capital!
Make sure to check out Wat Phra Mahathat when in the old city of Ayutthaya. During the town's peak this was arguably the most important temple and remains one of the most intriguing sites today!
The exploration of Ancient Thailand is both majestic and exhilirating as you venture into the historic depths of sites unique to this area. Your day will begin with a drive to the famous town of Ayutthaya. Begin by visiting the Bang-Pa-In Summer Palace, an impressive architectural blend of East and West dating back to the 17th century. Continue to Ayutthaya, which was the capital of the Thai Kingdom for 417 years. The city was founded in 1350 by King U-Thong and in 1767 it was destroyed by the Burmese army.
Nowadays the ruins of the former city are on the UNESCO World Heritage list. Stroll around the ruins of several ancient temples including Wat Phra Si Sanphet, a former royal temple during Ayutthaya's days of glory; Wat Mahathat, where the roots of a tree surround the head of Buddha; and if time allows, Wat Chai Wattanaram, a perfect example of Khmer architectural influence. This afternoon, board a river cruise and enjoy a Thai lunch while cruising back to Bangkok. Witness the daily life of the river’s inhabitants and watch the scenery change from rural to cosmopolitan. After disembarkation, get picked up again and transfer to Klong Toey pier.
- Lunch is included in tour cost. Beverages are not.
- Please note there is surcharge pricing for all National and New Year holidays. Contact ShoreTrips with any questions.
- You will need to provide your passport information at the time of the booking.
- Please alert ShoreTrips in advance of any dietary restrictions. We will do our best to accommodate.
- GRATUITIES / TIPS: Please consider your guide and/or driver (if applicable) if you are pleased with your day. A gratuity is a wonderful way to show your appreciation.
- ShoreTrips is not responsible for items left behind.
- Please note there are several cruise piers in and around Bangkok. If your ship changes itinerary, there may be a change in cost. If you have questions, contact ShoreTrips.
Days offered: 7 days a week