Experience Seattle's Craft Hard Cider SceneExplore > United States > Washington > Experience Seattle's Craft Hard Cider Scene
Explore the world of hard cider, from its history, to tastings, to current trends.
Cider has a significant place in American history. One of the first tasks undertaken by Puritan arrivals in the 1600's was to plant apple trees. Thanks to the purifying qualities of alcohol, hard cider became the beverage of choice for many early Americans concerned with the safety of their water supply.
Long overshadowed by craft breweries, cider has experienced a renaissance to rightfully take its place alongside beer as a beverage worthy of your attention. Combining the carbonation of beer with the fruitiness of wine, cider provides a wonderful blend, creating unique, bold and surprising flavors.
With your knowledgeable tour guide at the wheel, you will visit 3 of Seattle's best cider makers, each with its own special take on the basic cider recipe. Blending genuine Washington State apples with fruits such as cherries, grapes and pears, and flavorings like ginger, maple syrup, and cardamom, these craftspeople turn out ciders that rival fine wines, ranging from sweet to semi-dry to dry.
You'll receive a full flight of tastings, consisting of 3-5 different varieties at each location, along with food pairings and gourmet snacks (we don't want you drinking on an empty stomach!). You'll learn about Old World methods and innovative techniques employed to produce new varieties of this historic beverage.
Depending on the day of the week, the third stop will either be a craft cider brewery or a downtown cider bar where you'll sample a flight of international "old world" European ciders.
After this tour, the next time you're thinking about heading to a craft brewery, you'll make it cider instead.
At the tour's conclusion, you'll be returned to your hotel, the cruise terminal, any place in downtown Seattle or even the airport. Just let your guide know.
- As we might be touring an industrial-size cider production facility, please wear close-toed shoes with non-slip soles. Even if the weather is warm, bring a sweater or windbreaker as indoor facilities are kept cool.
- Tour price includes all taxes.
- Pickups are provided from the cruise ship pier and all downtown Seattle hotels.
- If your cruise ends in Seattle and you are spending the night in a downtown Seattle hotel, we encourage you to check in (or at least store your luggage) at your hotel after disembarking your ship. The disembarkation process is usually completed by 10am. You will then be picked up at your downtown Seattle hotel.
-If your cruise ends in Seattle and you will be flying out later in the day, you will be picked up from the cruise ship pier. Your luggage will be stored in the van if necessary and you will be transferred to the airport after this tour.
- Guests staying outside of downtown will need to take a taxi to a central meeting location. Specific meeting instructions will appear on your voucher.
- This tour requires a minimum of 4 passengers.
- All guests must be 21 or older to participate in this tour. You must show a state or federally issued ID at the time of tour check in. No refunds will be given to those who cannot present a valid ID.
- Gourmet snacks will be served on this tour. Please alert ShoreTrips of any food allergies during the checkout process.
Days offered: 7 days a week