Private: Discover The Great Ocean RoadExplore > Australia > Melbourne > Private: Discover The Great Ocean Road
Experience one of the world's most scenic ocean drives.
Of all the road trips in all the world, the Great Ocean Road is one of the most spectacular. From rugged coastal scenery to vibrant seaside villages, from wildlife viewing to rainforest walks, this is an experience of superlatives.
Along the southwest coast of Victoria, just a few miles outside of Melbourne, the hustle and bustle of the city gives way to sweeping vistas, dramatic coastline and a relaxing Aussie vibe.
Experience an aboriginal cultural center (closed Sundays) for morning tea with a uniquely Australia flavor. Hear some didgeridoo, scout for wildlife or learn to throw a boomerang. Enjoy art from around the country in their amazing gallery.
We'll stop to admire some world-class surfing at Australia’s surfing heartland, Torquay and check out the site of one of the World Surf League's competitions, the "Rip Curl Pro" at Bell's Beach.
Let the scents and sounds of the native eucalyptus forests wash over you as you stretch your legs on a guided rainforest or waterfall walk.
As with all road trips, stories are an integral part of the experience. Your local guide will tell tales about the area's early explorers and share information on the indigenous flora and fauna (such as wallabies and carnivorous snails, oh my!).
Since this is a private tour, let your guide know when you would like to make a stop for lunch. He/she will be happy to suggest a great place based on your culinary preferences. Or, celebrate this special day with a fantastic 2-course gourmet lunch with wine. This option can be purchased during the check-out process.
A visit to Apollo Bay provides an opportunity to feed wild parrots, maybe spot some koalas in the treetops and keep an eye open for the "mob" of kangaroos who call this area home.
Rising out of the rugged coastline you'll find a collection of limestone pillars known as the Twelve Apostles. These columns were once connected to the mainland but the ravages of time, wind and waves carved out first arches, and as the erosion continued, pillars. Although there are only 8 "Apostles" left standing, they are no less magnificent to behold. Your guide will take you to the viewing platform for your best look at these beautiful creations of nature.
As you head back to the city, you'll stop for an afternoon tea break, complete with local Australian treats.
- All admission and activity fees are included in the price of the tour.
- Wear comfortable walking shoes and a light jacket or wind breaker.
- Cost of lunch is not included in the tour unless you purchase the gourmet lunch option during the check-out process.
- Optional 15 minute helicopter flight over the 12 Apostles must be pre booked during check out. This is a shared flight with 3-7 passengers per helicopter. This is a great way to escape the crowds!
- Contact ShoreTrips if you are interested in a 1 way helicopter flight from Melbourne (you will drive one way, and fly the other saving about 2 hours of driving).
- Contact ShoreTrips if you are interested in customizing this experience. With advance notice, we are able to reserve a table at the world famous Brae restaurant, arrange a session with a professional photographer, or even arrange a stop to surf.
- Children under age 5 are free of charge.
- The Aboriginal Cultural Center is closed on Sundays.
- Public holidays requiring purchase of holiday supplement for 2019 are: November 5th, December 25th and December 26th.
- Public holidays requiring purchase of holiday supplement for 2020 are: April 10th, April 11th, April 12th, April 13th, April 25th, June 8th, November 3rd, December 25th, and December 28th.
- Peak rates apply to all tours booked for travel between December 20th and January 31st. For public holidays during peak season, the surcharge will only be applied once.
Days offered: 7 days a week