Volcanoes National Park Revealed
An in-depth exploration of this newly-altered landscape, transformed by volcanic activity.
A visible and lasting reminder of the power of nature, the recent volcanic eruptions of Kilauea, which began on May 3, 2018 have changed the structure of the volcano itself and the look and feel of the park.
The historic eruptions on the Lower East Rift Zone and the collapse of the Halemaumau Crater have changed the volcano itself. Your Certified National Park Guide will discuss the processes of nature that lead to this volcanic activity and the importance of Kilauea in the cultural history and lives of Hawaiians. For 2-3 miles, you will experience first-hand the enormous impact of this volcanic activity as you walk the newly-formed landscape's rugged terrain.
You’ll visit private land to explore the unique Kauhi Cavern, a lava tube with ceilings as high as 35 feet. This tour company has exclusive access to the area which makes the cave's expansive rooms, golden microbial mats living on the cave walls and “upside down” forest of roots hanging from the cave ceiling all the more interesting and memorable. After exploring the cave, you'll enjoy a late afternoon snack of "pupus", the Hawaiian word for appetizers (but "pupu" is so much more fun!)
Included throughout this tour are morning snacks, lunch, beverages and afternoon pupus.
Join us, and experience the "new" Kilauea Volcano.
- Pickups provided for KONA and WAIKALOA hotel guests only. If you are staying outside of those areas, please contact ShoreTrips prior to booking.
- Kona hotel guests will be picked up between 5:55am and 6:25am. Waikaloa hotel guests will be picked up between 7:10am and 8:05 am. Your voucher will indicate the exact pickup time for your hotel.
- Wear close-toed shoes. Bring or wear long pants and a light jacket or sweatshirt.
- Daypacks, flashlights, walking staffs, helmets and raingear will be provided for your use.
- There are currently no active eruptions in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. However lava viewing conditions change daily or even hourly so it is possible you will see some volcanic activity.
- Minimum age to participate is 8 years.
- This tour requires a minimum of 4 passengers to operate.
- This tour can accommodate up to 14 passengers.
- All guests must be able to walk for short distances on uneven terrain for a total distance of 2-3 miles.
Days offered: 7 days a week