Tlingit Canoe And Cultural ExperienceExplore > United States > Icy Strait/Hoonah > Tlingit Canoe And Cultural Experience
Experience the rich history and culture of the Tlingit people.
See the beauty of Hoonah through the eyes of the Tlingit people. Hear their stories, interpreted from their totems and imagine their life as you experience the authentic adventure of paddling a hand-carved Tlingit canoe.
The Tlingit people are honored to share their rich history with you. While there are different theories of their origins, there is no dispute that their movement was halted by the advancing ice in Glacier Bay and in 1754 they settled in what is now Hoonah. The tribe thrived in this magnificent location as hunter-gatherers and fishermen, surrounded by majestic wilderness and the abundance of the sea. Using hand-carved, 40' canoes made of red cedar, their economy was mainly centered around the water. You'll get a glimpse into what Tlingit life was like centuries ago when you climb into one of these ancestral dugout canoes and paddle the waters of Icy Strait. If you prefer not to paddle, sit back and enjoy the scenery.
During your 45-minute ride, you will be enlightened and entertained by your crew's drumming and singing and they will even teach you some Tlingit phrases.
After returning to shore, you will tour the canoe culture shed, "Yaakw Kahidi", to view beautiful totems and a display of the "Xunaa Shuka Hit" (Hoonah Ancestor's House).
An interpreter will share the traumatic story of the forced migration out of Glacier Bay and the recent partnership with the National Park Service which has brought about the Tlingit's return to their ancestral homeland.
- If your ship arrives at the Adventure Dock, it is about a 5-10-minute walk to the meeting location.
- If your ship arrives at the Wilderness Dock, it is either a 15-20-minute walk or a 3-minute gondola ride (possible additional cost), plus a 5-minute walk to the meeting location.
- Hotel or Airbnb guests will need to find their own way to the meeting location. Specific instructions will appear on your voucher.
- Snacks and beverages are included in the price of this tour.
- Please dress in layers to be prepared for any weather conditions.
- This tour requires a minimum of 4 to operate.
- This tour can accommodate up to 12 passengers.
- Minimum age or 5 years old.
- Minimum weight of 50 pounds.
- This tour is not available for those with limited mobility.
- All guests must wear life jackets.
Days offered: 7 days a week