Explore Thailand's ancient capital!
Make sure to check out Wat Phra Mahathat when in the old city of Ayutthaya. During the town's peak this was arguably the most important temple and remains one of the most intriguing sites today!
The exploration of Ancient Thailand is both majestic and exhilirating as you venture into the historic depths of sites unique to this area. Your day will begin with a drive to the famous town of Ayutthaya.
Your day will begin by visiting the Bang Pa In Summer Palace which reflects an impressive architectural blend of East and West dating back to the 17th century.
Continuing on visit Ayutthaya, the heart of the "Ancient Capital" which stood as the face of the Thai kingdom for 417 years. By 1700 it grew to the largest city in the world with close to 1 million residents and was considered by many european merchants to be the most beautiful city they had come across. Unfortunately its quick demise was just as fast as its rise when it was left abandoned following a Burmese invasion in 1767. The remaining temples and palaces made of stone will create a very compelling ambience that will stick in your mind forever!
In the afternoon, you will return to Bangkok via a luxury river cruise and enjoy a traditional Thai lunch. Witness the daily life of the river’s inhabitants and watch the scenery change from rural to cosmopolitan.
- The drive from Bangkok to Ayutthaya is approximately 1.5 hours.
- You will be transferred back to your hotel on arrival at the river cruise pier.
- Meal included in price of trip doesn't include drinks.
- We recommend you wear comfortable walking shoes, light clothes and a sun hat.
- Ladies should wear short-sleeved top with full-length trousers or knee-length skirts. Gentlemen should wear trousers and short-sleeved shirts for religious reasons. No sandals or flip-flops allowed.
- Please note there is surcharge pricing for all National and New Year holidays as well as peak season. You will be notified of any increased costs prior to confirmation. Contact ShoreTrips with any questions.
- Please alert ShoreTrips in advance of any dietary restrictions. We will do our best to accommodate.
- The Bang Pa In Summer Palace is currently under renovation. You will visit the outside, but will not be permitted inside.
- In the event of extreme traffic conditions, our driver may take you to the pier (located directly across from the Peninsula hotel) to transfer you by their shuttle boat in order to save time; or vice versa. Our guide will accompany you to and/or from the Peninsula.
Days offered: 7 days a week