Mystical Muir Woods And Charming Sausalito
A half day tour showcasing the natural and artistic beauty found just north of San Francisco.
This family-owned and operated company prides itself on high quality, small group, interesting and fun tours from their San Francisco base. Their commitment to the environment is evidenced by their use of bio-fuel tour vehicles.
Heading north out of San Francisco, we'll cross the iconic Golden Gate Bridge, stopping on the other side for a panoramic view of the city skyline, San Francisco Bay and Alcatraz Island. Driving through the Marin Headlands your guide will inform you about its history and ecosystem as you admire the spectacular rugged coastal scenery.
Just ahead is Muir Woods National Monument, an awe-inspiring forest best known for its towering cathedral of old-growth redwood trees. The Coastal Redwood is the tallest tree species in the entire world. Even more impressive, these trees only thrive in Northern California and Oregon, courtesy of the thick fog that blankets the west coast in the summer months. Named after John Muir, naturalist, environmentalist and "Father of the National Parks", these woods are contemplative, earthy and ancient. We'll spend an hour or more here, allowing you time to appreciate and reconnect with nature.
Just a short drive away, we'll visit picturesque Sausalito. Your guide will drive you around to familiarize yourself with the area. Then you're off on your own for about 30 minutes to explore this town that was a shipbuilding center during World War II. Since then it has become a residential and artistic community, and is well-known for its houseboats...some luxurious, some spartan, some quirky, but all interesting and unique.
At this point, you have the option to stay in Sausalito (to browse the shops and galleries, enjoy a fresh seafood lunch or further explore the town) or return to the city with your guide. If you decide to stay, choose the "Sausalito Ferry Option" at check out. Your guide will provide your ticket.
If you have chosen to return with your guide, you'll have a final view of the San Francisco skyline as we once again cross the Golden Gate Bridge.
- You will need to take a taxi from the cruise ship pier to the meeting location at a downtown San Francisco Hotel. The ride takes approximately 20 minutes and costs $10-15. The length and price of the taxi ride will vary for hotel guests based on where their hotel location. Specific instructions will appear on your voucher.
- Dress in warm layers. The woods and the waterfront can be foggy and windy. In the winter months, bring a raincoat/jacket. Wear comfortable walking/hiking shoes.
- Bring sunglasses and sunblock.
- Don't forget your camera.
- A small, soft-sided day bag is permitted. No large luggage.
- No bottled water is provided for sustainability reasons. We suggest bringing a refillable bottle with you as there are drinking fountains available throughout the day.
- If you choose to return to San Francisco from Sausalito on your own, you will be provided with a link to the ferry schedule on your voucher after booking this tour.
- This tour requires a minimum of 5 people to operate.
- This tour is not available on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day or New Years Day.
- This tour is not wheel-chair accessible.
- The cost of lunch is not included in the price of the tour.
- The order of the sites are subject to change.
Days offered: 7 days a week