Authentic Italian Testaccio Neighborhood Food TourExplore > Italy > Rome > Authentic Italian Testaccio Neighborhood Food Tour
"When in Rome" takes on a whole new meaning once you've tasted Testaccio.
A bit out of the way, not known for its architecture or art, Testaccio is where Roman cuisine was born. Here the food is as genuine as the people.
Just skirting the edge of the old city you will find the Italian neighborhood of Testaccio. No tourist attractions, no tour buses, no crowds. What you will find are some of the best restaurants and purveryors of food in a city known for it's fine cuisine.
As you wander the streets of Testaccio, your local guide will fill you in on the history of Rome's first "foodie" neighborhood. There's lots to learn and to taste, so let's get started.
We'll visit the bustling Testaccio market. Don't let its new contemporary home fool you, this is one of the oldest markets in Rome. From the freshest produce, meats and cheeses to pasta, bakery and dried fruit, all your foodie cravings will be handled.
The day begins with tasty offerings found in a forno (bakery) run by the same family for more than 50 years. Their love and experience shows with each delicious bite.
A delightful mix of pungent aromas and friendly service greet you at the door of this prosciutteria. Family run for more than 30 years, the proprietors pride themselves on the fine quality of their cheeses, prosciutto and salami, served up with a smile and an invitation to return anytime.
You'll learn about Monte Testaccio, a repository of shards from oil jars from before the 3rd century. An atmospheric restaurant built into the side of Monte Tesaccio is the perfect spot to sample 3 of the best pasta dishes you've ever had.
Every Roman neighborhood has it's favorite street food, "suppli", those famous fried risotto balls. Testaccio offers their own special version. We think you'll agree it's the tastiest in all of Rome.
Gelato in a neighborhood bar? In Testaccio, surprises await around every corner. This establishment has been in business since 1914 and whips up the city's finest gelato using only natural ingredients. And, as long as you're in a bar, you might as well throw back a frosty glass of the local craft brew.
- This is a walking tour, with some uneven pavement. Wear comfortable shoes.
- This tour operates regardless of weather. Bring an umbrella or raincoat if rain is in the forecast.
- Transportation to and from the meeting location is not included. Specific instructions will appear on your voucher.
- This tour does not operate during the month of August, EXCEPT for August 1-4th. If you have any questions, please contact ShoreTrips.
- Please alert ShoreTrips in advance of any dietary restrictions or food allergies. We will do our best to accommodate.
- The order of the sites visited may vary.
Days offered: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday