Private: British Museum Tour With Expert GuideExplore > United Kingdom > London > Private: British Museum Tour With Expert Guide
Let an expert guide enhance your appreciation of the wonders contained within this treasured museum.
This is not a traditional tour company. All guides are specialists in their field....historians or archaeologists--who possess a deep knowledge of their subject. They lead tours like professors lead seminars, with in-depth conversations and discussions about themes and topics relevant to the the pieces being viewed.
Without a knowledgeable, informative guide, visiting the British Museum can be overwhelming. Allow your expert docent to lead the way through this magnificent, but complex repository of our ancient civilization's important artifacts. From the museum's most valued ancient treasures to some of the lesser-known but no less significant items, your guide's extensive knowledge will open your eyes to the wonders of the ancient, as well as the modern world.
We will begin with a thorough overview of how the British Museum came into existence in the mid-eighteenth century with a stop to the Enlightenment Gallery. Here we will look at how the discipline of archaeology evolved from the work of antiquaries. We'll also see how art history was born here with the study of ancient Greek sculpture and vase painting.
A visit to the Egyptian Collection brings us to a replica of the Rosetta Stone. Listen carefully as your guide explains its history, its importance in the understanding of Egyptians hieroglyphs and how it was acquired by the British Museum. No discussion of Egyptian life would be complete without an examination of mummification and the Museum is home to many fine examples.
From this point, you may choose to study several artifacts and languages from ancient Iran and Iraq, or perhaps you would like to spend some time admiring the artistic and technical beauty of the Parthenon Marbles.
Your guide's goal is to enlighten and impart a sense of wonder and appreciation for the ancient world and to realize its importance to our present-day culture.
- This is a shared, small group (2-6 people) walking tour. Unless there are 6 people in your group, you may be touring with other travelers. If you would prefer a private tour, contact ShoreTrips.
- You will need to take a taxi to the meeting location. More information will be provided upon confirmation.
- There is a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 6 for this tour.
- Minimum age is 13 years old.
- This tour is not available on January 1, December 24, 25 or 26.
- This tour can accommodate those in wheelchairs or with walkers. Although there are steps at the entrance where the tour begins, there are self-operated lifts. Please inform ShoreTrips during the booking process if anyone in your party has limited mobility.
- Although there is no admission fee to enter the museum, contributions are always appreciated.
Days offered: 7 days a week