Wildlife Adventure On The Monkey RiverExplore > Belize > Harvest Caye > Wildlife Adventure On The Monkey River
Stay alert! this is Mother Nature at her finest.
It's very unlikely that you will see a Jaguar but they are out there somewhere!
Waterways are often a hub of life for animals of all kinds. From food to shelter, rivers serve as a lifeline for the flora and fauna that help make up the greater ecosystem. The Monkey River in southern Belize brings together an eclectic group of wildlife that by boat and by trail provides some amazing opportunities for wildlife viewing.
Your day of adventure starts with a 40-minute ride along this weaving river aboard a skiff type boat called a panga. While you glide over the turquoise water your guide and captain will bring your attention to important spots along the shoreline and alert you to where wildlife viewing is at its best. The river gets its name from the population of Howler Monkeys that can be heard (from very far away) in the trees above the river. Listen for their calls as a sign of when they may be close.
A stop will be made at a nearby trail for approximately a half-mile hike to learn about the intricacies of the Belize jungle. Here you will learn about things like the herbal plants used for medicines and if you're especially lucky you will stumble upon the unique looking Tapir. It is also common to see Black Howler Monkeys here! This trip is your best bet for seeing some of the most unique animals in Belize in their natural habitat!
If the water level of the river is deep enough for swimming, you're welcome to jump in for a short paddle. Afterward, we'll get back in the boat and head back to Monkey River Village to enjoy a delicious locally-prepared lunch.
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes or hiking boots. Your shoes may get muddy during the hiking portion. We also recommend you bring layers, sunblock, bottled water, and bug spray.
- If you'd like to take a swim in the river, bring/wear a swimsuit and towel.
- This tour is only available for guests on NCL and for ships that arrive by 9 AM.
- This tour requires a minimum of 4 people to operate. There is a maximum of 18 per departure.
- Please note the cost of the water taxi is not included in the price of the tour. The water taxi is $25 per person round trip. You MUST purchase these tickets on board your cruise, and can do so from the first day you board your cruise. You must insist on pre-purchasing tickets as the shore excursion desk may tell you it is not possible to do so. Please purchase the earliest tender.
- This program is not recommended for guests with limited mobility.
- The minimum age to participate in this program is 3 years old.
Days offered: 7 days a week