Northland Region Private Jeep EscapeExplore > New Zealand > Bay of Islands > Northland Region Private Jeep Escape
Ditch the crowds and explore New Zealand's Northland Region with a local.
Road trip! With just you and your guide on this tour, it's going to be a day of personal attention, great scenery, interesting history and a whole lot of fun. Don't hesitate to book, as these tours sell out quickly!
With your local guide behind the wheel, we're heading out of town to the back roads of Northland. That means subtropical forests, historic and cultural sites, beautiful waterfalls and charming towns.
Just a short drive away, we come to the peaceful seaport village of Opua. It's time to put the Jeep in 4WD and follow unpaved roads to the Puketi Kauri Forest, a primitive wilderness that is home to magnificent stands of the giant kauri tree. Admire these ancient specimens, which were mature before people inhabited this area. An elevated walkway (suitable for wheelchairs) provides a glimpse of the forest's ecosystem, including many other varieties of trees and wildlife as well.
The Bay of Islands Vintage Railway is the only working railway in New Zealand where the trains travel down a State Highway and right through the middle of a busy town, in this case, Kawakawa. Normally, you'd think that would be the highlight of this area. In reality, it will most likely be the famous Hundertwasser Toilets, a public facility designed by the reclusive artist, Friedensreich Hundertwasser. Using ceramics, recycled glass and bricks from the area, this international work of art will be one of the most memorable sights of your day.
We'll pay a visit to the Kerikeri Mission Station. Hear about its very interesting history and see two of New Zealand's oldest buildings, the Stone Store and Kemp House. Take a little time to browse the shops for local products. Close by is Rainbow Falls, a lovely spot on the KeriKeri River. If you wish, take the easy 10 minute (one way) walk on a paved path (also suitable for wheelchairs) to get a closer look at this 88 foot beauty.
Traversing over rural farmlands and forested countrysides, we'll pause to see Henry Williams' beautiful church in Pakaraka. Then, passing volcanic landscapes and sites of ancient Maori fortified villages, we arrive at Haruru Falls.
At the Waitangi lookout, we'll stop for a great view of Bay of Islands before heading back to town.
- Pickups are provided at the pier for all cruise ship passengers as well as guests staying at Paihia, Waitangi, Haruru Falls and Opua hotels ONLY. If you are staying in a location not mentioned above, please contact ShoreTrips for pickup/meeting location.
- This tour operates in most weather conditions. Please dress accordingly.
- Please bring a credit card for incidentals and souvenirs.
- These tours sell out quickly. We suggest booking early to avoid disappointment.
- Since this is a private tour, you might be able to customize this tour a little. Discuss it with your guide upon pickup.
- There are a maximum of 2 jeeps per departure, each accommodating up to 4 people.
- Please note each jeep has room for up to 4 passengers. If the jeep is full, three people will be sharing the back seat.
- If you use a collapsible wheelchair and are able to transfer into a vehicle with assistance, you will be able to enjoy this tour.
- All children (age 0-15) must be accompanied by at least one adult over age 18.
- Each Jeep contains 2 booster seats for children weighing 33-80 pounds. If your child weighs less than 33 pounds, you must provide a legally compliant car seat.
- All passengers are required to follow the instructions of the driver.
- No one under the influence of alcohol or drugs will be allowed to participate in the tour.
Days offered: 7 days a week