With this insider tour, you'll have access to several Jewish sites in Sydney.
Your guide knows all of Sydney inside and out, but she is particularly well versed on Jewish history and culture in the city.
Your tour begins at "The Rocks", part of Sydney's historic waterfront. Here, cobblestone streets and early convict history blend with modern markets, museums, art galleries and special events.
From there, you'll hear about stories of the Jews from the "First Fleet", the first 11 ships that departed England in 1787 to form the first penal colony in Australia, arriving after 250 days at sea.
A visit to the Jewish Museum of Sydney, with its intriguing and remarkable Star of David architectural motif, will be an informative, memorable and sobering experience. Permanent exhibits include The Holocaust and The Jewish Involvement in Australian Military History.
Upon arrival at the Central Synagogue, you will be impressed with its stunning and simplistic beauty. The largest synagogue in the Southern Hemisphere, it is home to a vibrant and thriving community.
There's a place in Sydney called "Our Big Kitchen". It is a commercial kitchen, available for non-profit and community organizations to use to prepare meals for their members and the needy. A local Rabbi will be on hand to regale you with stories about the kitchen and its mission.
It's time for a lunch break and Bondi Beach, a white sand beauty and one of the most famous beaches in the country, is a great place to stop. You're sure to find something to your liking among the many cafes and restaurants available here.
What better way to get a feel for the culture than by visiting local proprietors? We'll stop in at a Jewish butcher, baker and bookstore, where you'll be free to make some purchases.
We include a drive past the spectacular Sydney Opera House, one of the most recognizable buildings in the world as well as the beautiful Harbour Bridge, bringing cars, bicycles and people between downtown Sydney and the North Shore.
- Please note: YOU MUST SUBMIT A COPY OF YOUR PASSPORT TO SHORETRIPS WITHIN A WEEK OF BOOKING THE TOUR. Copies of passports are required for all visitors to synagogues in Sydney.
- Please contact ShoreTrips if you have any dietary restrictions or limitations.
- The cost of lunch is not included in the price of the tour. While it is not necessary to pre-order the lunch, you may let ShoreTrips know and we will inform the tour operator.
- This tour can accept one collapsible wheelchair but is not available for those with limited walking ability.
-This tour is not available on Jewish Holidays.
- Tours of synagogues are not available on Sundays.
- The order of the itinerary is at the discretion of the tour guide.
Days offered: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Sunday