This delightful tour showcases the beauty of Puerto Rico!
Window Cave, better known as “Cueva Ventana” is a unique ecological experience located in Aricebo, about an hour's drive from San Juan. Upon arrival, you will be provided with a helmet and flashlight to assist you in exploring this interesting limestone cave.
A 20 minute hike of moderate intensity will bring you to Cueva Ventana. En route, your bilingual Environmental Interpreters will introduce you to the the Pre-Colombian Taino culture of this area. You'll hear about the plant and animal life too, some of it endangered or nearly extinct.
As you enter the cave, you guide will explain its unique karst topography and geological formations and show you Taino petroglyphs and stone engravings left behind by these ancient peoples. You'll also hear about the resident bat population as well as giant (non-poinsonous) spiders and snakes who call this cave their home.
And now the moment you've been waiting for! Upon arrival at the "Window" you will be treated to breath-taking, panoramic views of this beautiful island and the Caribbean sea beyond.
- Please note that the transportation for this tour is private, but the hike is done in groups of about 20-25 people.
- Wear hiking shoes or tennis shoes. No sandals allowed due to wet conditions inside the cave.
- Wear light, comfortable clothing. Bring a hat, sunglasses and sunblock.
- Don't forget your camera.
- If you are staying at a hotel outside of the San Juan area, extra transportation fees will apply. Please contact ShoreTrips for rates.
- Late departures are frequently requested. Please be advised that the sun sets around 5:30 p.m. in San Juan (depending on the season) and some public buildings are not open.
- If you need a different pickup time, please contact ShoreTrips.
- This tour is not available on Christmas Day.
- This tour is not wheelchair accessible.
- This tour is recommended for children ages 5 and older.
- Since hurricane Maria hit San Juan, this tour has become extremely popular. Please note that you may have to wait to begin the hike.
Days offered: 7 days a week