Let your segway do the work as you glide through the highlights of Kona.
Once you try a Segway, you'll understand the attraction of these "personal flotation devices". Well, you don't exactly float, it only feels that way.
After a brief, but important lesson on Segway operation, you'll be comfortable and ready to roll. The tour begins on the mile-long Kuakini Highway. What was once a World War II landing strip has been transformed into a State Recreational Park and the perfect place to "Segway". The Botanical Gardens there are lovely. Glide past slowly so you don't miss a single flower.
Next stop, Ali'I Drive. The spectacular oceanfront scenery here has earned it the designation of a Hawaii Scenic Byway. As you roll along, your guide will inform you of the archeological and historic significance of this road, especially the importance of the "Royal Footsteps Along the Kona Coast".
If you've ever watched the Ironman World Championships Triathon, Kailua Pier will probably look familiar as it is both the starting and finishing point for this event.
We now visit locations of great historical importance to Hawaiians, the personal retreat and temple of King Kamehameha the Great. Nearby is the Hulihe'e Palace. What was once the summer home for royalty (I'm sorry but who needs a summer home in Hawaii?) has been turned into a museum. For our final stop, we visit the first Christian Church on the island, Moku'Auikaua.
As you wheel your way along Kona Village's main drag, chocked with fun beach shops and back to your starting point, you'll appreciate all the ground you've covered while having a blast.
- You will need to take a taxi or drive to the meeting location, which is located in Kona Village, or you may choose to walk. The walk is approximately 15 minutes.
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes. Also, we recommend sunscreen and sunglasses.
- The Segways can store cameras or a small purse. Lockers are available (free of charge) at the office for smaller backpacks if you wish.
- One bottle of water is provided for each person.
- Tour price includes all taxes.
- The minimum age is 10 years old. Guests 10-17 must have an adult/guardian accompany them on the tour.
- This trip takes a maximum of 10 people.
- Safety helmets are required and provided free of charge.
- Minimum weight of 75 lbs; maximum of 275 lbs.
- Guests will be asked to sign a waiver and bring a photo ID if 18 or older.
- Each party will need to provide a credit card at the time of check-in.
- This tour does not operate on New Year's Day, July 4th, Thanksgiving Day or Christmas Day.
Days offered: 7 days a week