Mountain Biking Around Isafjordur's Avalanche WallsExplore > Iceland > Isafjordur > Mountain Biking Around Isafjordur's Avalanche Walls
Avalanche walls provide the perfect spot for mountain biking!
When you live in a town surrounded by mountains, huge, formidable, towering mountains that are frequently covered with snow, you'd be wise to consider protection for your town and your people in the event of an avalanche. Isafjordur has done exactly that, constructing steel retaining walls to keep any possible destruction at bay. During summer months, these barriers, (called bridges) provide mountain biking opportunities for locals and visitors alike.
This family-friendly tour begins by riding through Isafjordur's main street before heading up to, then behind the barriers. During the ride, your experienced guide will relate some of the local history, as well as what day-to-day life is like in this Icelandic town.
After riding a while, you'll come back out to the road and begin the climb to the Buna River and waterfall. Continuing on through the valley will provide spectacular views of the fjord, before heading back to town. Whew, what a rush!
- Wear warm clothing and dress in layers.
- Wear closed-toed shoes.
- Please bring a water bottle.
- The meeting location is approximately a 5-10 minute walk from the cruise ship pier.
- The minimum age to participate is 12 years old.
- This program can accommodate a maximum of 8 passengers.
- This tour is suitable for beginning riders.
- Book early in order to avoid the disappointment of sell-outs.
Days offered: 7 days a week