See the city though the eyes of this famous author.
This Tour Includes:
- Air conditioned vehicle
- English-speaking guide
- Visit to La Finca Vigía (Hemingway's House has varied hours. We cannot promise entry on any one day)
- See Cojima, the town Hemingway loved, and the restaurant-bar where he wrote 'The Old Man and the Sea'
- Visit the waterfront statue of Hemingway
- Stop at the Hotel Ambos Mundos, where Hemingway had a favorite room
- See the Old Havana haunts with Hemingway's preferred drinks
For over 30 years Hemingway and Havana have had a mythic relationship. Cuba played such an important part of Hemingway's life that he wrote 7 books there, among them 'The Old Man and the Sea', 'Islands in the Stream' and 'Movable Feast'. His home, just outside of the city of Havana, was called La Finca Vigía, which means The Lookout. The home was left to the Cuban people and it has undergone some restoration. It is full of books, lots of knickknacks and an old Viktrola along with favorite records.
In May 2006 Cuba sent 11,000 of Hemingway's private documents to the JFK Presidential Library in America for digitalization after agreeing, in 2002, to allow the US to fund a project to digitalize those left in the basement of the home. This literary treasure trove, including a previously unseen epilogue for For Whom the Bell Tolls, was finally made available online in January 2009. (Please refer to Restrictions in reference to the access to the home.)
There is much more that delivers the atmosphere of past attraction of the author and you will move on to the town of Cojimar, just a short ride away. It is interesting to see the lovely homes in town as you head for Hemingway's favorite bar, the inspiration for 'The Old Man and the Sea'. Las Terrazas is loaded with photographs from that time period and a table overlooking the sea was the spot that Hemingway favored. It was also the favorite of his captain, the late Gregorio Fuentes, to whom he left his boat. You will take a short walk to the waterfront where a statue of Hemingway was created from old anchors, props, and tools salvaged by local fishermen to honor his memory.
Heading back to the city, you will be able to follow Hemingway's trail in Old Havana. A stop at the Hotel Ambos Mundos and Ernest's room #511, you can see where Hemingway stayed in the 30s before he bought his home. It is easy to imagine life at that time, as the décor of the restaurant-bar has retained the atmosphere of the past.
Two places are nearby with 2 famous and favorite drinks - la Bodeguita del Medio is famous for its mojitos and the Floridita for its superb daiquiris!
You can hang out here and try them both, and find your way back on your own, an easy walk to the pier and many of the hotels.
- No food or beverages or gratuities are included in this excursion.
- This is a perfect half day excursion that can be combined with another half day for full day service.
- The Hemingway House has an admission that currently is between 3 and 5 CUCs and is not included.
- Please dress comfortably.
- Though all information including the website for La Finca Vigía says it is open Monday through Thursday, the hours are uncontrollable. We are sorry if you arrive and it is closed.
Days offered: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday