Escorted Large Group Tour Of The Tulum RuinsExplore > Mexico > Cozumel > Escorted Large Group Tour Of The Tulum Ruins
Just a ferry ride away and you will be looking at the past.
The ruins on Cozumel are minor so if you really want to dive into a historic place, Tulum is for you.
This tour includes:
- Round trip ferry ride to Playa del Carmen
- Round trip ground transportation from the Playa del Carmen ferry pier to Tulum
- Services of an English-speaking guide
- Exploration of the Tulum ruins (admission included)
- An amazing day of discovery!
If you are interested in the Mayan ruins, then this experience is a must. The Tulum ruins are the most visited of all the Mayan ruins in Mexico. Built in the late thirteenth century, Tulum is most unusual for the Mayans. Its location along the waterfront is unique as is its wall surrounding three sides of the structures, the fourth being the limestone cliffs that slope down to the water. It is the only of the temples located on the coast.
The buildings themselves have all weathered time differently, some moreso than others. As you enter through one of the 5 doorways, gently rolling fields will greet you. The leftovers of buildings past remain visible. There are some very prominent structures to tour, including the Castillo, or castle, which is perched on the edge of the limestone cliff. In front of the Castillo is the Temple of the Frescoes, one of the better preserved buildings. You can still see inside and view a mural painted in several vertical sections, representing the levels of life and death. You will also see the Temple of the Descending God and the House of the Columns, all with a licensed English speaking guide.
This tour includes the history of the Mayans and their importance in the development of Mexico and many of its surrounding countries. If you use your imagination while standing in the midst of Tulum, you may hear the spirits of those who lived long ago.
- We recommend that you wear comfortable clothing and walking shoes, sunglasses, and a hat, and bring sunscreen, camera, cash/credit cards, swimsuit, towel, and a change of clothes.
- This tour requires some walking on grass and uneven surfaces.
- Please consider that there are several departure times for this excursion. Your departure time will be assigned, once your reservation is confirmed, according to your ship´s arrival (generally but not always 1 hour after your arrival) and you must check in at the downtown ferry pier meeting point 15 minutes before your tour departs.
- The taxi to the meeting location takes approximately 5-10 minutes and costs about 10 USD each way.
- Ferry ride to and from Playa del Carmen is approximately 45 minutes and may be rough at times. Guests who suffer from motion sickness should take this into account.
- The bus ride is approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes in each direction.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests in wheelchairs or guests with walking difficulties.
- Flash bulbs, tripods, and professional video equipment are prohibited at the ruins.
- Guests using home video cameras will be charged a government fee of approximately $8 -$10 USD payable in cash at site.
- For the continued conservation of Tulum, guests are prohibited from climbing on the ruins at any time.
- This tour is conducted in English and Spanish. A third language is available for an additional fee. Italian, German, French and must be booked in advance through ShoreTrips.
- Due to high demand at certain times of the year, this tour can be large.
Days offered: 7 days a week