This terrific excursion into the countryside is historical and delivers the best views!
I loved this ride. On every trip we take, we absorb all that a city has to offer, but we make sure to get outside the city limits and see what else we can find. I won't forget our visit to Montserrat.
Montserrat is a multi-peaked mountain located near the city of Barcelona, in Catalonia, Spain and is known as the site of the Benedictine Abbey, Santa Maria de Montserrat, which hosts the Virgin of Montserrat sanctuary. From the congested city of Barcelona, you will find relief in your one-hour drive through the countryside to the monastery. The 1,200-meter-high mountain is a grand sight from far away.
By private vehicle and a licensed English speaking guide, you will enjoy your drive up the mountain. Your drop-off at the Monastery entrance will begin your monastic experience; your guide will walk you around the area while imparting the history. From the top, you can experience a view far into the landscape of Catalonia and of Barcelona. Many visitors are drawn to the location to see the black Madonna, patron saint of Catalonia.
You will have time to visit the Madonna, go to mass, do some shopping, have a little lunch, and perhaps take the funicular to the top. Your guide will accompany you if you wish. You may want to tour the Museum of Montserrat monastery, where you can see works of major artists such as Dali, El Greco, Monet, and Giordano. Additionally, you can see liturgical and archaeological exhibits.
If your group is a little larger and people would like to venture in different directions, your guide will give you suggestions and set a meeting time and place to gather before returning to Barcelona.
- Although you will have some free time and choices to use it, your guide will stay with you if you request it.
- Walking is part of this tour, but is controlled by your wishes.
- Food, beverages, gratuities, and entrance fees are not included in the price of this tour.
- Please dress comfortably for the weather.
- This trip may be booked as a pre- or post-cruise tour. Return to our website to book under Private Pre and Post Cruise Tours.
Days offered: 7 days a week