Denali Jeep Backcountry ExplorationExplore > United States > Denali > Denali Jeep Backcountry Exploration
Get out of your hotel and into the backountry!
This Tour Includes:
- Round trip transportation from your area hotel
- 4-wheel drive Jeep Wranglers carrying up to four passengers
- Guide in lead vehicle providing narration
- Entrance into Denali National Park
- Stampede Road - As seen in "Into the Wild"
- Light snack
With high definition TVs these days, if you get a big enough screen and put in the right DVD, there is a good chance you could convince yourself you are actually in the Alaskan backcountry. Well, as far as we know, typical TVs don't have wheels quite yet and can't provide ever-changing 360 degree views along Alaskan terrain. When that does happen though, we'll shut the business down. Until then, we highly recommend you get out of your hotel and into the wilderness. That is the reason you came to Alaska, isn't it?
Your primary route will cover the famous Stampede Road, which is not shown on your average Alaska map. Originally blazed by the early miners going to the Kantishna gold fields, Stampede Road became famous through the Sean Penn directed film Into the Wild. You will be traveling on the very same road that Christopher McCandless, the protagonist of the film, took to enter the backcountry. If you don't know who Christopher McCandless is, we apologize for this reference and to sum it up he was a young man who wanted to flee society, finding Stampede Road as the perfect outlet.
Two-way radios with the lead vehicle lets your guide give you the rundown on the area's history and point out sights along the way while warning you about the road ahead. If you aren't driving, keep your camera ready and eyes peeled for chances to see moose, foxes, caribou, and bears. A snack and some time for relaxation is built into the day before heading back to civilization.
- All Jeeps have radio communication with the guide vehicle and are automatic transmission.
- A snack consisting of beef stew and fry bread with lemonade, water, or coffee is included in the price.
- Pricing is based on 4 people per jeep. If there are less than 4 in your party, you will share the jeep with others unless you purchase 4 spots.
- This excursion is available from May 26 - September 17.
- A booster seat can be provided upon request for children between the ages 5-8. Please indicate this at the time of checkout.
- You must be at least 5 years old to participate.
Days offered: 7 days a week