Roman monuments, Vincent Van Gogh, and an olive oil tasting--this tour has it all!
This tour includes:
- Round trip transportation from the cruise ship pier or your hotel
- Scenic drive to Arles
- Exploration of Arles
- Time for lunch (additional cost)
- Drive through the Alpilles
- Olive oil tasting
- Lots of amazing photo opportunities!
A relaxing one-hour drive will bring you to Arles, a former major Roman city dating back to the 7th century BC that contains many important monuments which you will discover on your walk: the theater, the amphitheatre, the forum, and more. You will also visit the beautiful Saint Trophime church, a reminder that Arles was also an important religious center during the middle ages.
Arles is also closely associated with the name Vincent Van Gogh, who arrived there in 1888 and completed nearly 300 paintings during his stay, including "Evening Café," "Hospital Garden," and "the Bridge Langlois." You will get a chance to view the sites of many of his most famous paintings. It was also here that he cut off a piece of his ear on the evening of the 24th of December, 1888.
After some free time and lunch (on your own), you and your guide will head back to the car, where you will drive through the landscape of the Alpilles, complete with vines and olive trees, to one of the numerous olive estates. End your day with an olive oil tasting, before heading back to Sete.
- We suggest that you wear comfortable shoes and bring your camera.
- Entrance fees to monuments are not included in the price of this tour. Most are visible from the outside, but you can also see the inside if you wish.
- Please keep in mind that the order of this tour is approximate. Your guide will adapt to the rhythms and interests of your group, so please let her know of any special questions or interests that you may have.
- Please note that many shops are closed on Sundays.
Days offered: 7 days a week