Altos De Chavon And Chavon River CruiseExplore > Dominican Republic > La Romana > Altos De Chavon And Chavon River Cruise
A lovely day full of activity!
Start your day visiting the replica of a 16th c. Mediterranean village.
This Tour Includes:
- Round trip transportation
- Licensed guide
- Scenic drive to Altos de Chavon
- Walking tour
- Visit the Church of San Estanislao
- Visit the Archaeological museum
- Enjoy a lovely boat ride along the Chavon River (complimentary snacks and beverages)
A short ride from the pier will bring you to the replica Mediterranean village of Altos de Chavon ($6 admission and $5 port tax) which was built by Italian Roberto Coppa for his daughter in the 70's. Today Altos de Chavon is an artist's colony perched above the Chavon River gorge. With your guide you will walk along the cobblestone walkways scattered with shops filled with local products and artisan goods made by the local artists. Visit the Church of San Estanislao, the archaeological museum that is the most important Dominican museum outside the capital and the charming Greek style amphitheater where Frank Sinatra and many others have performed.
After your visit board your coach to descend down to the Chavon River where you will board a boat and travel through the river's deep gorges interwoven with plam groves and unspoilt atmosphere.
You will be reminded of scenes from Apocalypse Now and King Kong which were shot here. While on board, enjoy rum drinks, juices, sodas and beers with snacks, as you listen to Dominican music. As your cruise comes to an end you will have a panoramic view of the mansions of the rich and famous and disembark at the Casa de Campo Marina.
You will have some time to explore the charming marina before you are transferred back to the cruise ship pier.
- Please note that a portion of this tour does involve walking - dress comfortably, but please adhere to the dress code to enter the Cathedral. You are asked not to wear shorts or short skirts and women are not permitted to wear trousers.
- $6 per person Altos de Chavon admission and port tax will be collected locally.
Days offered: 7 days a week