Exclusive Baseball Tour In Dominican RepublicExplore > Dominican Republic > La Romana > Exclusive Baseball Tour In Dominican Republic
See where Sammy Sosa and other stars came from, as well as the home of up-and-coming players.
A visit to this Academy is a very special treat, and we are thankful to the local franchise for understanding that interest in our national pastime transcends the United States.
Included in this tour:
- Round trip transportation from the cruise ship pier
- Scenic drive to San Pedro
- Visit to professional baseball stadium, Sammy Sosa Plaza, Academy of a Major League team
- Opportunity to catch a minor league baseball game
- An incredible behind-the-scenes adventure for baseball fans of all ages!
It's a lovely one hour drive to San Pedro, and along the way we'll pass by sights that will make for great photos--villages, people, countryside, and ocean views.
We'll arrive into San Pedro--a mix of a commercial city and a rural village--and your baseball expert will take you on a panoramic tour of the city. Along the way, we'll pass by some baseball sites and make a photo stop at the professional baseball stadium. You'll be surprised at the number of familiar names that claim San Pedro as their birthright and you'll see all of their homes--George Bell, Armando Benitez, Rafael Ramirez, Alfonso Soriano, Jose Offerman, Fernando Tatis, Alfredo Griffin, and more!
Next, we'll stop at Sammy Sosa Plaza, which is the site of his foundation here (a clinic that provides medical care to Dominicans) and the place where his statue stands. We'll pass his mother's old house, where he grew up, and then take a short drive to the Malecon, home to many sports bars that broadcast major league games.
Now, we'll leave the city and drive into the countryside to find the secluded home of a Major League franchise.
You'll learn about the different levels of minor league teams run by the majors and the structure of the players' days. Your tour includes the barracks, the cafeteria, the training rooms, and more. Please understand that your tour is based on the activities at the time of your visit and we'll respect the schedule just for the privilege of visiting this exclusive enclave.
Keep your fingers crossed that there will be a game on the day you visit. If so, you'll be part of the audience cheering for the local team! If the game is on the road, we'll bring you along, if time allows.
- If you are traveling on a cruise ship other than Costa Cruises, Carnival Cruises, Aida Cruises, Oceania Cruise Line, or Tui Cruises, you will need to pay your driver a $5 per person port fee.
- The baseball training camps are closed from December 19 - January 7 each year.
- If you staying in a hotel - please call to advise location as there may be a supplement added for pick-up from hotels outside of La Romana.
Days offered: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday