Take advantage of this once in a lifetime excursion.
Your stop in Koper offers you a chance to see one of the most beautiful destinations in the world, The Skocjan Caves. This national treasure of Planet Earth is an awe inspiring opportunity that will leave you both humbled and amazed by Slovenia's natural beauty.
Considered to be on par with the likes of the Grand Canyon and Mount Everest, the Skocjan Caves were formed by the Reka river and represent a natural formation that can't be replicated anywhere else in the world. After being picked up at the cruise ship pier you will head to the Skocjan Caves Regional Park and disembark for the underground bridge that stands about 130 Feet above the Reka river. Enjoy your free time exploring the area with your guide as you take an educational walk throughout the caves.
- The overall underground channel is 3.5 KM long, 10 to 60 meters wide and over 140 meters high.
- The caves are home to one of the largest underground chambers in the world. Martetova Dvorana has a volume of 2.2 million cubic meters.
- Artifacts have been unearthed from the caves as far back as the 12th and 8th centuries B.C.
- It is home to one of the most unique ecosystems in the world where the rarity of Alpine and Mediterranean species thrive together year round.
- During the Bronze Age travelers pilgrimaged to the caves from thousands of miles away to take advantage of its perceived religious powers.
- The cave generally stays around the temperature of 51° F so it is recommended you take a jacket and shoes appropriate for walking.
- When you check out, you will have to provide every passenger's name.
- This tour is not wheelchair accessible. Nor is it suitable with anyone with mobility issues. There are many stairs and the cave floor can be slippery.
- Flash photography is strictly prohibited.
Days offered: 7 days a week