Explore Tokyo's East Side!
There is no place like Tokyo. All of our touring was done with public transportation, which became part of the experience!
Hearing about the transformation of Tokyo's Shiodome district will leave you amazed at the turnover amongst its infrastructure. Originally a flooded marshland separating the Imperial Palace from Tokyo Bay, Shiodome has transformed into one of the most modern regions in all of Tokyo and has been booming since the start of the 2000s. From entertainment complexes to business supercenters, this 11-part district continues to gain attention from metropolises around the world! Make sure to enjoy the view while approaching the towering skyline before the skyscrapers swallow your panorama of the surrounding area.
The many faces of Tokyo will then take you to Ueno, arguably the area's strongest cultural sector. With no high-rise buildings or busy shopping malls, this district will provide you with a fresh take on one of the most dynamic cities in the world. Right off Ueno station, you will enter the aptly named Ueno Park. The beauty of this area needs no introduction and is immediately recognized by the thousands of cherry trees that line the walkways. With close to 9,000 trees and a unique collection of birds, this sanctuary away from Tokyo's concrete jungle is the highlight for many first-time visitors. From markets to museums to the famous Shinobazu Pond, Ueno park offers endless opportunities to experience authentic Japan.
Your next stop will get you away from the crowds and into Yanaka, which many consider the "hidden" district of Tokyo. As you make your way through the narrow streets of one of Tokyo's few old quarters, you will feel as if you are removed from city life and immersed in the charm of a small town. Surviving the fire bombs of War World II, the sloping hills of Yakata will be the perfect slow down to your day as you meander through the historic residential streets. If you're interested, catch a glimpse of Yamaka's cemetery, which is home to Japan's most famous public figures.
Asakusa's Senso-ji Temple will be your final destination. Tokyo's oldest and most significant temple is dedicated to the Goddess of Mercy and will have an everlasting impact on your visit. Upon arrival, you will be welcomed by the "Thunder Gate" as you make your way to the main temple with a five-story pagoda to your left. Since its partial destruction in World World II, the Senso-ji Temple has been rebuilt as a symbol of rebirth for the local community and will serve as a perfect ending to your day!
- This tour uses public transportation. You will not be able to bring luggage on this tour. The guide will meet you either at your central Tokyo hotel or at the Harumi Port Terminal...but not at the Yokohama Port.
- Please contact ShoreTrips if you are interested in combining aspects of the West Side tour.
- The cost of lunch is included in the price of this tour.
- The operator of this tour suggests that each participant purchase a travel insurance policy that will cover them for injuries and illnesses while in Japan due to the extreme costs of hospitalization and medical services.
- Some of the buildings and options have entrance fees. We do not include the entrance fees as everyone has different interests. Your guide will help you determine what you will be most interested in and tell you any extra cost. If you choose to take the boat ride on the Shinobazu Pond, that is also not included in the tour cost.
- This tour is not wheelchair accessible
- IMPORTANT. This tour has a cancellation/refund policy that is non-conforming with ShoreTrips' standard policy. Full refunds will be made for cancellations due to your ship not making its scheduled port stop if you have notified the vendor or ShoreTrips of this situation at least 72 hours prior to the scheduled stop. 50% refunds will be made for cancellations due to your ship not making its scheduled port stop if you have notified the vendor or ShoreTrips of this situation at least 48 hours prior to the scheduled stop. No refunds will be made for cancellations made in the last 48 hours prior to the scheduled stop. Excursion Protection Insurance is available and highly recommended and will be offered to you during the checkout process.
Days offered: 7 days a week