Tayrona Ruins, Tribe & Culture With Don Diego RiverExplore > Colombia > Santa Marta > Tayrona Ruins, Tribe & Culture With Don Diego River
This tour is culturally rich and also lots of fun!
Don Diego River and Tayronaka Reserve are rich with culture and history, and even a little bit of fame! It was here that the Academy Award-winning movie "The Mission" (Robert DeNiro) was filmed.
Included in this tour:
• Round trip transportation to/from pier
• Scenic drive
• Tayronaka Natural and Archaeological Reserve
• Learn about Tayrona tribe, history, and culture
• Ruins and archaeological museum
• See where the movie "The Mission" was filmed
• Option to kayak
We'll begin this tour with a scenic drive out to Tayronaka Natural and Archaeological Reserve. En route to the National Park, you will be in awe of the gorgeous landscape of mountains, rivers, and lots of green everywhere you look!
Once at the reserve, we'll get out of the vehicle and take a fascinating guided tour of the indigenous Tayrona tribal ruins. The Tayrona constructed pueblos using advanced methods and materials that would not be harmed by the climate and erosion. In fact, the ruins have withstood the test of time, 500 years later. The Tayrona people continue to live here.
The spiritual practices and ethical beliefs of the Tayrona revolve around their conception of "aluna," which is the belief that all reality is created by thought, and that every object or being has both a physical reality and a spiritual essence.
We'll also be sure to visit the on-site archaeological museum filled with cool objects and artifacts from the tribe. Your guide will also fill you in on the history of the ruins and the indigenous ancestral culture. Take a stroll down the stone paths or into the exotic flower garden that leads down to the Don Diego River.
Here you will have the option to return to your vehicle via kayak or boat (15-20 minutes) on the Don Diego River. If you opt to return via kayak, you will need to pay $7 per person (2 person kayak). If you take the boat back, you don't need to pay anything. Please also review "special instructions."
Later back to the pier.
• You will see all of the sites listed, but perhaps in a different order.
• If you opt to kayak back, you will need to pay $7 per person (2 person kayak). Life-preservers will be provided. You will be kayaking alongside the boat.
• You may also opt to have a spiritual cleaning for $5 per person. It is performed by a member of the tribe.
• You will be walking for portions of this tour, so please dress comfortably for the weather and wear comfy shoes.
• Please bring insect repellent and sunblock.
• Minimum 4 people.
• Minimum age is 9 years old.
Days offered: 7 days a week